Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New helmet + visor...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by huntersdad, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    I'm starting to purchase my motorbike gear in the lead-up to getting my L's (fingers crossed) this weekend.

I've ordered a Shoei TZ-1 "Strike" helmet from the Bikebiz online store ( http://www.bikebiz.com.au/shop/enter.html ). It's one of their "Red hot specials!" and happens to be in my size for a very good price.
    They've also mentioned they have tinted visors for $59.95.

When looking up visors for this model of helmet I found this PDF ( http://www.mcleodaccessories.com.au/cat/shoei_pdf/shoei_access.pdf ) which showed there were two tints. Light and dark.

The big question.
    Which one?

What would you choose and why?
  2. I'd take the chrome iridium one! :p
    The light tint would be a watse of time imo, go for the darker one if you really want a tinted visor (and always remember to take along your clear visor if you will riding all day).
    Think of them like sunnies, light tinted sunnies do sfa and never look as good either.
    Chrome still wins for me anyway. :cool:
  3. I'd love to get the chrome iridium, but it goes over what i've budgeted for this stuff.
    I'll have to get one for my birthday ;)
  4. I was told that the iridium visors scratch real easy.
  5. I've heard the same thing.

Someone also told me that they are prone to shattering when objects like small rocks/gravel or even big enough insects hit it at speed, but that sounded a bit far fetched.

I figured that if that was likely to happen, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them on the Australian market.
  6. You were told correctly.

The coating is very thin and prone to scratching.

They look good but need more care. Sometimes you can get stuff that splashes on them whilst riding and they are cactus.

Dark tint is the way to go but dont get caught at night with it.
  7. I've had many an iridium visor and they don't scratch all that easily in my experience. At least not with normal careful handling.
    But as for shattering?? Bwahahahaaa, whoever made that up must have been a funny guy! :p
  8. Scratched iridium looks crap close up. Out on the roads no one
    can tell, so who cares..

More important factor is that ya vision is not affected be em..
  9. if an iridium visor gets scratched, does it change the vision through it ?

or does it just look bad up close like kishy said ?