Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Handlebars or risers on cruiser

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by poppybill, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hi all, I would like to lift my handlebars on me xvs650 by a good couple of inches but not sure whether to buy bigger handlebars or go for 4 inch risers. I know its a personal choice but wondered if there is anything else I should consider before deciding. I have read that I shouldn't need to replace cables if lifting by no more than 4 inches. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Have you tried rotating the bars ?
    I don't know what year bike you have, or if you have the standard shape bars fitted, but on my 2010 custom I was able to lift the bars 2" just by rotating them in the mount a little.
    What's really comfortable for depends on your arm length and if you have relatively short arms then a lift / riser might be the easiest fix.
  3. If you can fit the risers without having to remove the controls and grips it would be easier than changing the bars I think.
  4. Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that it is a 2016 with stock bars. I have rotated them which made it better but still looking for a bit more of a lift and pull back because I am a bit of a shortarse.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. i would consider getting a mustang/modified seat which will bring you forward and make you more comfy as well, might be easier than risers.
  6. you can also get seats that are not as wide helping the rider reach the ground a bit easier, definitely worth looking into and a very good suggestion plaidlerplaidler
  7. Thanks guys. Already got the Mustang seat with a backrest and man o man are they good. I just discovered that although I might get away without changing clutch, brake, cables if I rise my bars I would however need to lengthen the electrical cables. That might be a pain in the arse but I will look into that. I have no problem reaching the ground but just want to tweak my bike up a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. poppybillpoppybill your're probably not the first bloke that's wanted risers, I reckon there's a simple extension plug available for your electrics. Check eBay
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Here you go bud try these 2016-06-14-22-11-53-1169709327.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. itchin. they are awesome, I could do chin-ups while riding with those but I would need a pair of steps to reach the grips. lol