Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New gearbox clunkiness

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by gegvasco, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Just a question regarding running in of gearboxs. How long does a brand new gearbox take to settle down? I have a brand new CBR600F4i and it is very clunky changing back or forward between 1st and 2nd. In particular, when you engage first from neutral, it makes a big noise and jumps a little. The dealer said this was normal and would settle down. Thoughts?

2. mine gearbox was heaps better after my first service, and when I went to full synthetic oil that made it miles better.

3. Don't they run in on natural oil? If that's the case I wouldn't panic until it's had it's first service and oil change like dan said.

4. Wicked bike you have there!
    It's the stunt riders bike of choice FYI!
    Get used to the gearbox.....It's a honda thing.
    I have a Hornet 600, which has the CBR600 engine/ gearbox (not fuel injected though.....).
    I was advised to change gears at around 5000rpm.
    I took this advice on board and it shifts throught the gears very nicely now. Synthetic oil will help.
    Try 'Redline Shockproof gearbox oil'.
    Daz. :wink:

5. CBR's used to be famous for clunky gearboxes. Not sure what the new ones are like though, but I expect it will get better as you put the k's in.

Trust the dealer on this one.

Using mineral oil at the start helps the engine to bed down. It can be counter productive to use fully synthetic from the start, but the dealer will know what is best.

The old BM is something of a slow starter, still being on mineral oil after 12000 km. But then BM's are different... (like you didn't already know that).

6. Just be thankfull it's not a kwaka.

Tractor gearboxes in those things

7. Honda gearbox = clunk into first
    In between, give 'em the berries and they're as smooth as silk

8. Don't worry until it's run in. If it's still doing it badly after a coupla thousand k's, then take it to the dealer.

9. My ZX6-R has about 23000k on the clock and it still klunks between 1st & 2nd. What it is, is the selector skipping accros the positive nutral finder. It you shift fast and as the others say, at about 5000rpm it usually disapears.

10. I find holding the clutch in for about 10 seconds before slamming it into gear helps. But hey, tha's on an R1 but have had mates do the same and it seams to help.

11. I find holding the clutch in for about 10 seconds before slamming it into gear helps. But hey, that's on an R1, have also had mates do the same and it seams to help.