Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New gear, specifically pants.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by yardman, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Been out buying riding gear today. Got the easy stuff: helmet and jacket - pants were the contentious choice though.

I'm going to be a commuter rider so expected to pick-up some dri-rider textile type pants for wet and dry (everyday) use.

But, the sales guy tells me that these are intended for longer distance touring and would be uncomfortable for a commute. Instead, he recommended kevlar jeans all the way, to me jeans don't seems protective enough…

Bearing in mind I will probably want to wear this stuff on weekend rides too... what’s the general consensus here?

2. The consensus is that your post doesn't belong in the general forum.

3. Sorry, I did look around and clearly failed to see the correct section.

4. No probs, happy to help you along the path for starters.

5. I would figure wear whatever feels comfiest!

I wear kevlar jeans commuting every day. Just bought a pair of dririder vortex 2 pants last weekend, glad I did because of the pelting rain a few days the past week. They kept me toasty and dry - the jeans wouldn't have done that!

Oh and they were super comfy too :)

6. Nice, exactly what I'm looking at. Toasty I don't need, but dry I will need (Brisbane)

So, they're good for your commute? Will you now choose them over the jeans?

7. I mainly bought the dririder for the winter & rain. They kinda look like an adult nappy, so for that reason, jeans would be my first choice :D

8. yardmanyardman I use kevlar jeans for my day to day commute to work.

In my tail bag i have some DriRider over pants (and a jacket). If it starts raining before i leave i throw them on over my jeans, or if it starts to rain on the way home i generally pull over under a bridge and whack them on, then continue on my merry way.

If I was going on a big weekend adventure i'd certainly entertain getting some winter/rain type pants like the ones mentioned by ChristinekChristinek

Oh and i've come off on my bike wearing kevlar jeans @ 40kph .. no damage / gravel rash.

Cheers
    Juz

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JayteeJaytee Cool, thanks for the input.

Since this is the start of my biking career its inevitable that I'll buy more kit anyway. So, from a fashion perspective, I think I'll start with kevlar jeans as I'll be taking a change of work clothes anyway.

I'm hoping to become awesome on two wheels, so weekend riding will eventually involve me in full leathers anyway.

Gloves and boots next.... suggestions welcomed.

10. Uncomfortable for commuting but not for touring?
    I have a pair of Dririder touring pants with the thermal liner removed. I use these as overtrousers in my daily commute.

11. Agreed, if they are comfortable for touring long distance you'd think they would be fine for the commute.
    Jeans are comfy in good weather but I wouldn't want to get caught in the rain in them.

12. From an old fart's perspective, I'd be more concerned about functionality than fashion/how they look.

If you don't want to faff around with changing into over trousers in the middle of a ride or getting too hot in waterproof trousers, consider gore-tex pro pants with vents. You'll never need to stop to change in the middle of a ride, they should be comfortable in most/all conditions and are breathable.
    Instanlty adjustable and you don't need to worry about adding liners etc.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-lontan-gore-tex-pants

Obviously they cost a bit more but crash protection is good and the convenience is great, comfortable too. .

13. B

Cost a bit more!!!!!!

14. #14 Womble, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    True, but I've found that if you buy quality gear it lasts a lot longer.
    If you pick the right time e.g when the sales are on you can get significant price reductions e.g. I got the pants and matching jacket for under $1k instead of over $2k normal price from MCAS.

15. yardmanyardman - My main reason for jeans is that I don't generally get caught in the rain as I check the weather radar map before i leave for work / head home. If it's raining whilst i'm at work i'll throw the over pants on and head home.

Moving towards winter though, with the increase in wetter weather, I might look at a dedicated set of pants, then change at work. I keep a DR set of jeans , shirt etc at work in a backpack so if i'm ever caught out I have something there in case.

I have these boots, they're comfy and suit the jeans well..

Alpine Star S-MX2

Alpinestars_S-MX_2_Boots_Black_zoom.
    With any bike gear style and fit ultimately decide what you'll get. Some people like a taller boot with shin guards etc. Try a few on and see what suits you best.

Most of my bike gear is at the lower end of the scale for now. I did this purposely as I wanted to try different gear but not spend a fortune on the good stuff right off the bat. Like your first bike, you want something that works but doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

At present I have 3 jackets... Leather , and 2 textile jackets (I think most people have multiple sets of gear for various occasions (commute vs track) / seasons)

The leather jacket is my current day to day jacket. Its really comfortable and should see me through my P's for the next few years.

I have an RST Urban Air textile jacket for very hot days as this lets in a tonne of air and keeps me cool. I also have a RST Paragon III Jacket which is my touring / winter jacket (I'm yet to wear it riding).

As mentioned these suited my needs and budget for my learner/probationary stage..

Hopefully this gives you something to think about.

Cheers
    Juz

16. Good choice mate, it's just too bloody hot up here to wear, full leathers on wear Kev Jeans( on the GCT) and a jacket with good ventilation, I wear my textile gloves way more than my leather gloves for the same reason 10 months of the year it's too hot. Comfy for you boots any style riding boot with protection. Team Moto has a sale on at the moment. Happy riding :)

17. I've ended up with five pairs of pants; leather, rain pants, kevlar jeans, textile waterproof and textile mesh. The textile mesh get the most wear and are dry enough, after scotch guarding, if only light rain (tank bag does a good job as a fairing and a mesh jacket stops water from pooling down -- it stays well distributed on my shirt!). Second most popular are the kevlar jeans and finally the textile waterproof that only get put on if it is seriously wet and cold. Leather was a bit of a waste of money for my use (low speed commuting). All were cheap.

18. Wow - lots of food for thought. Thanks everyone!

19. I have only two pairs of trousers: Heavy kevlar jeans and leather trousers. Leathers for fun and if it looks like it might be wet, I don't believe the water ruins it myth, I look after mine. Kevlars when I feel like it or I mind being hot, bought some waterproof overtrousers but never used them. 450gsm kevlar full lining is good enough protection, want more wear leather.

20. yardmanyardman keep in mind that both leather and textile wont stop you breaking bones, they will keep you in one piece and should prevent the majority of road rash. With gear, its a good thing to get some that has protection in the hard/pointy areas of the body.

The most common being back, shoulders, elbows and knees. Most kevlar jeans come with knee guards and im pretty sure 99% of leathers out there have knee protection as well.

In the wet, jeans will act like a sponge and soak it all in.. A cheap set of over pants will add to these.

Cheers
    Juz