Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New from QLD. Here to learn :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by NathanAU, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker and have had plenty of interesting and informative things to read on this site so far. Most of it banter. I figured I'd come join the ranks to dive deeper, learn more and hopefully start my own modifying journey.

My current wishlist to attempt: The all-time classic "turn a v-star 650 into a bobber" trick. As far as mechanical expertise goes - I'm no pro. In fact, I don't even own a motorcycle yet. I got my RE licence and am in the process of saving for a bike. I've read through countless forums and followed many more threads, but I'm yet to do my own.

I have a mental list in my head of what I want to happen, and I know approximately what it'll take to get there. I just need to get this dream from A to B.

Thanks for having me.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. G'day NathanNathan, welcome to Netrider and all the best with finding the right motorcycle for you.
  3. Thanks mate.
  4. Hello and welcome to NR NathanAUNathanAU :) Best of luck with finding the right bike for your future project. Learning by doing it will be very interesting, frustrating many a times but hugely rewarding in the end.
  5. Thanks mate, I feel like it's going to be a good learning curve.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. welcome aboard :]
  7. I've seen one in the flesh, done quite nicely.
    Sprung seat, exhaust wrap, ram pod, slim rear fender with small lights and discreet number plate mount. Looked good.

Many options to go with, out there. I'm waiting to see one turned into a scrambler...
  8. Thanks mate.

I'll let you in on my wishlist...

- Roadburner Street Pro 2.5" exhaust, probably with baffles to stay on the good side with the neighbours.
    - Exhaust wrap.
    - Rejetted.
    - Remove footboards if it has them, replace with regular pegs.
    - Modified seat: either sprung seat or stock and altered a bit.
    - Bobbed rear fender. I've seen a few people just cut up their rear fenders to shape and fab a new bracket. OR get one from BCB if there's no other option. I love the shape, but not the price.
    - Some of those small/bullet indicators, or something similar.
    - Side mount licence plate (Pretty sure it's legal in QLD. You just can't have it vertical, it needs to be horizontal. Feel free to tell me otherwise)
    - Repaint, probably black.. or gunmetal.
    - Super tall sissy bar to strap a swag to. Not all agree with sissy bars, but hey, it'll serve a purpose and I don't think they're bad at all.
    - Probably get some big wheels too, like those old HD knucklehead tyres. I need to check to see if they'll fit in the forks alright.
    - I wanna see how short ape hangers will go. If not, I'll just mess around with handlebars til I get one that fits.

I think that's mostly what I've been toying around with in my head. It'll chop and change as I learn more.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. That's a good list. Really keen to see the work in progress photos.

As they say, the first step is the often the hardest.
  10. Welcome. You on the south side by any chance? I have a little V-Star myself (250, not 600, but it is NOT a Virago!)

Project sounds grouse. And I'd be happy to swap boards for my pegs! ;)
  11. Thanks mate. I think it may be a little while before stuff actually happens. I like how you define it NOT being a Virago haha! How do you find the 250? Too small? Big enough? Would you go the 650?

And nope, Sunshine Coast. Unless you mean south side of the Sunny Coast, then nope. Somewhere around the middle.
  12. Nice, My parents are Buderim so I am up that way a bit. Actually got the bike from a bloke in Minyama (on the bloody water no less! lucky bugger...).
    To be honest the 250 is a tad small. I just fit on it. (me being 6"1'). I put a really great rear rack on it (no rear seat, its single seat rego) that has a backrest for the rider, and it has absolutely changed the bike. It does not feel anywhere near as cramped as I am supported (its strange, but the difference is huge) Its is ridiculously fun to ride. Everyone kept telling me I'd be sick of it (no power) in 3 months. I commute every day to work, it is outstanding. Not sick of it at all. In fact, I am glad to have restricted power as she forgives all my rookie mistakes (much like my missus!). She also keeps me sane and doing what I am supposed to be doing - cruising!
    Being new to riding, and already middle aged, lower power does not worry me, the thrill of riding - and learning at a good pace while maintaining the "good" habits I was taught, is what I like.
    As for xvs 650, yeah, I'd get one for sure. The reason I got this was a cracking good price and my budget was VERY limited, so I was able to get it and get riding literally a week after getting licensed! It was a great find.
    I am 4 weeks away from full license, but budget dictates I'll have my little pocket cruiser for at least another 8 months, before I go up to a Vulcan 900 (front runner at the moment for upgrade).

Whatever you do - test ride first! And a few times if possible.

Good luck with it all bruh. It certainly is a fun journey getting into it!
  13. That looks like a fun ride.

I understand what you mean about having a forgiving bike to learn on. That's the track I might go down first, then take bigger steps as I become more confident. I'm currently eyeing off an er-5 that'll possibly be available in 8 days time. So hopefully I'll have a bike soon to play around with.

Also yeah, I'm around the Buderim area too.
  14. Funny, I was after an er-5 to start (reviews and youtube are kind to them).

Whatever you get, whatever you do, keep this one simple truth in mind....
    Your confidence will soon outstrip your abilities - and in that difference is where problems arise.
    A guy once told me that in relation to riding - I have not forgotten it. it is so true - and important.
  15. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. This feels oddly similar to the Uncle Ben/Peter Parker scene...