Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New from Central Coast NSW

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Spart106, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Hi Everyone,
    Finally decided to take the plunge and am planning on gettinh my first bike. I am booked in for my Pre-Learners course in Newcastle NSW next week.

I am planning so far on a Honda CBR 250R ABS.

2. Hi Spart106Spart106, I'm up the road from you in Newcastle. There's lots of good rides to be found near you on the Coast.

Assume you're doing the course at Adamstown? Good luck & be sure to show us the ride when you get it.
  3. Welcome mate :D
  4. Welcome! Have fun in your course.
  5. Welcome mate.

Only 26 more pages to go in this thread before you catch up to wonder woman.
  6. Welcome mate.

Something to bear in mind if you're bigger than the average chimpanzee:

If you haven't already, try and get a ride on the CBR before you buy. They are ridiculously hamster-powered.

My partner has one, and it's quite lacklustre at dragging me around (at 178cm and 80kg).

I also rode a Ninja 250 when we were buying her bike, and to be honest, I preferred it much more.

TLDR; keep your options open.
  7. welcome aboard :) good luck for your test
  8. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Yeah its in Adamstown :).

Ah I am 180cm and 93kgs... But I have never really ridden before and I am nervous about getting more bike than I can handle.
  9. welcome to NR Spart106Spart106
    add another 250cc to your CBR and you'll be laughing.;) the engine on the 500 is quite relaxed, so very easy to ride...
    BTW I'm little shorter but around the same weight. ( does that classify me as a 'fat bast**d?)
  10. Try sitting on one at least, before committing.

As MadDogMadDog says, bigger bikes aren't necessarily harder to control, plus they all come with a user-adjustable insanity control (throttle ;))
  11. mine is starting to turn from analog (adjustable) to digital (on/off) :whistle:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thank you for the replies!
    I sat on a GS500 and it felt great! Thoughts on that one?

I plan to do freeway driving and city driving.
  13. You too eh ? :)

@the OP.

+1 on the above post too.

This is exactly why we have the LAMS scheme, so that larger riders don't get stuck on a bike that is too small and underpowered to be comfortable for them. Just keep that right wrist down so you don't grab a big handful of throttle until you get used to it.

A 250 or 300 will be fine to start with but will get a bit tame pretty soon and you may feel a little cramped on it. The stock suspension may struggle too, but could be upgraded if necessary. Something around the 500cc ridden with care is going to be quite manageable and shouldn't be a problem power wise. GS500 is a nice bike, lots of low mileage second hand ones, around, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap to insure, cheap to run, handles nicely and they get better fuel consumption than many of the newer designs. They don't develop huge power, and they handle and steer surprisingly well for what they are. Suzuki did a great job of them, especially considering that the basic design is over 20 years old. The only downside to them is that they're a bit vibey at highway speeds which was the main reason I upgraded. Did a day trip to Canberra and back and my hands were tingling for a couple of days. That's probably because I replaced the bar end weights with some aftermarket ones which were much lighter so didn't damp the vibration as effectively. They all go through a fairly buzzy zone at around 5500 rpm so that's normal, just that's where it tends to sit at highway speed in top gear. They will get along reasonably briskly if you rev them higher, but you don't have to rev them hard to get around normally, they're pretty user friendly. I suspect that emissions were the main thing that killed them off. It's hard to keep the emissions down without fuel injection and with the looser tolerances that an air cooled engine has to have.

The Honda is also a nice starter bike too. Newer design, better brakes, can get ABS which is a very good thing, less vibration, but there probably aren't many around second hand if you want to save money. There's quite a lot of choice in the mid size range these days so if you're shopping around new there is a lot to choose from.
  14. Thanks for all the advice! Got my Ls and got a 2001 Honda VTR250 to learn on. She needs a little cosmetic tlc but I am slowly doing it. Mechanicslly she is great! I got her pretty cheap to learn on and to save money for my next bigger bike :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Well done. I'm also on the Coast, might see you around. BTW why did you do the course at Adamstown rather than Tuggerah?
  16. I need to find good roads around here to learn on :).
    So I could get in sooner :)
  17. Congratulations mate, if you're on the central coast, there are lots of nice roads around, you are spoiled for choice. If you're on the northern end of the Coast, Take a look out around the back of Wyong; Dooralong, Mandalong and Yarramalong Valleys are all quite pleasant rides. Just take it easy until you know the road as the surface is really variable and there are all the usual rural traps for new riders. Bad surface, mud and gravel from driveways on bends, livestock and wildlife, and cars, tractors and trucks, on any part of the road and often stopped to enter or leave a property. With that in mind, though they're country roads with lots of bends and some hills so lots of variety. Traffic tends to be reasonably light and they're quite scenic places to ride. Yarramalong Road can take you up Bumble Hill Rd to Kulnura and on to Wollombi and Cessnock or south to Sydney via Somersby and the Old Pacific Highway, or connect across to Wiseman's Ferry, Windsor and up to Putty or down to the Blue Mountains. Dooralong Valley is essentially a dead end unless you like dirt roads, so it's quieter. Mandalong Road goes up to Wyee and Morriset.

The old pacific highway is nice too, but needs to be treated with some caution as there can be a lot of riders there, and also a fairly heavy police presence.

Central Coast roads tend to have pretty poor surface, lots of potholes, cambers that reflect the engineers prioritizing drainage over safety and often subsidence due to mining or just lack of adequate fill in construction. While you're scanning for traffic, wildlife, livestock road signs, working out where the road goes etc, it's easy to forget about the surface hazards especially when you're starting off. It's a lot of information to take in and process at first, and your right wrist will govern how much time you have to process that information and act on it. Stay safe, have fun, might see you around the Coast.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thank you so much! I will pay attention to the road better as I dont think I am paying enough attention.
    I am around Gosford, ill plan a little route and try it out :)
  19. I lived in Gosford for a few years back in my early 20s... Wilhelmina street, near the big castle behind the best western on the way in to town. Always heading back up that way to see the family, it's a beautiful ride up the old pacific highway from Sydney. Just have to dodge all the racers and look out for cops. If you've ever got the day off and are going out for a ride throw a post up and we might run into each other. Vtr is an excellent bike to learn on, great choice
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thanks Steve!
    Yeah I will when I go that way, at the moment im working mon-sat as I just started a graduate job, but soon it will just be mon-fri. I