Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National New French law proposal -all drivers must carry a portable breathalyser

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Feb 24, 2012.

1. All drivers in France will soon have to carry a portable breath-testing kit....

.23 February 2012

New laws will make the equipment compulsory for all cars on French roads from July 1, with anyone caught without the equipment facing a fine.
    Around three million Britons a year take their car abroad and the new offence comes into force on July 1 as the holiday season approaches its height.
    The kits, costing up to £2 are expected to be available at Channel ports and will enable motorists to see if they are under the French limit of 50 mg per 100ml of blood [0.05% BAC] which is 30 mg lower than in the UK.
    Any devices would have to comply with safety standards set by the French authorities.
    It is the latest in a series of requirements imposed on drivers by the French Government. Motorists are also legally obliged to carry a warning triangle and fluorescent vest as well as displaying a GB plate and adjusting their headlights to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.
    The Institute of Advanced Motorists advised drivers to carry two kits, to ensure they have one spare.
    “The new French rule is a genuine attempt to reduce the number of alcohol related-accidents," said Neil Greig, the IAM's director of policy and research.
    "France’s lower limit means it’s very easy to be over the limit [the morning after drinking alcohol] as well."
    Andrew Howard, the AA's head of road safety, added: "They are not a good idea, because a driver's metabolism means that the alcohol level doesn't peak until 45 minutes after drinking.
    "You could pass a test in the car park after an agreeable lunch and then fail when stopped by the police three-quarters of an hour later. The only sensible advice remains if you drink don't drive and if you drive, don't drink."
    Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...to-carry-portable-breathalyser-in-France.html

I wonder who this is meant for - there's nothing about drivers having to actually use them - and if they do use one then they'd immediately need to get a new one!

If it's for the convenience of the cops, then since there's no calibration and not guarantee of accuracy it seems a bit pointless. The whole concept seems like a truly half-baked proposal. I wonder if they have been using any Victorian consultants over there?
  2. Dont they need calibration all the time as well?
  3. Some idiots in the french government seem to be running amok unhindered. The amount of stupidity coming from the french government on motorcycling issues is astounding!
  4. "I wonder if they have been using any Victorian consultants over there?"

nah, but this is what the Vic consultants will refer to as their 'extensive research' when they implement it here
  5. won't bother me :LOL:
  6. That sort of response is exactly how this sort of stupidity becomes law.
    Dividing the populace is a great tactic to push through bullshit laws one small piece at a time

If it's stupid you should make noise and oppose it regardless of how it affects you personally
  7. piffle

more chicken little Netrider paranoia

And only one person gets to tell me what to do and believe, and it isn't you....
  8. I have a $6 one from HK. Although I don't rely on its accuracy it is still quite useful. I don't like to drive close to the limit so I can use it to see when I've come down to 0.02. You can some what test it's calibration yourself. You just count your drinks and test it when your over. It works suprisingly effectively.

Requiring them is stupid but having one if you like to drink and dont wanna drink drive isn't a bad idea.
  9. you people need to get out of your tin-foil helmets and put real ones on and go out for a ride, instead of trawling the 'Net for perceived slights against us 'victim' motorcyclists :roll:
  10. Not a student of history then?

It's been used to great effect plenty of times.

I don't think this is stupid from a motorcyclist's point of view. I think this is stupid period. I'm not concerned about the impact on motorcycling. I'm opposed to this sort of bureaurocratic control period.
  11. I've LIVED more history than you've READ about
  12. And apparently forgotten it, or not bothered to learn from it.

Which might make you old but not wise.

Some reading on Goebbels and what he though of the general populace might help.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. So you appear to be happy about stupid laws that achieve nothing, Paul?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I got me tinfoil inside me bike helmet too - never can be too careful....
    • Like Like x 1
  15. having you call me stupid I take as a complement
  16. If it stops some poor mother/father/wife/husband/lover/friend from having a permanently disabled child, or some poor policeman having to tell distraught parents their boy has killed himself, or someone else, then what's stupid about that?
  17. Fair comment, but I'm currently having difficulty seeing exactly how the proposed law is expected to achieve any of that.

Folk who care whether they're under or over the limit will either abstain or self test anyway. Folk who don't care will not self test whether or not the law says they need to carry the kit to do so. The group whom it might discourage/prevent from driving when pissed strikes me as being almost vanishingly small.
  18. There you go, that's the classic politics of the margin to justify a stupid law. Well done Hornet. One hypothetically saved life, but many impacted with stupidity.

Them (BAC tester),

There's no requirement to prove you're fit to drive with a BAC tester. You just have to have a BAC tester. :roll:
  19. Just playing my part as the voice of realism, Rob, always happy to participate :LOL:
  20. So as a person who never has, and never will, consumed alcohol, I'd be required to pay out of pocket for some piece of shit that I'll never use? Brilliant.
    • Like Like x 2