Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Electric Scooter

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by mjt57, Feb 7, 2007.

1. http://media.fairfax.com.au/?sy=age&category=Breaking News&rid=25539

Not sure if it's been posted already. Apologies, if so. I wonder what Mr. Bracks, or any other state government, for that matter would think of this bike. An electric scooter, 6 hrs urban endurance, charges up in two hours, little or no noise and other forms of pollution, and from the front looks vaguely Hayabusa-ish...

2. Can see all the pink power suiters now. :facepalm:

3. The problem with most electric scooter designs I've seen is that there's a limit to the number of times you can charge the battery - and they're not cheap to replace (ie around the 1~2 grand mark :shock:). In terms of running cost/performance no real competition for some of the cheap petrol powered scoots on the market. And the issue of non-polluting is an iffy one given most power in Australia comes from burning coal.

4. Hey, seems kinda cool...........but 11,000 euros........well in $AUD, you'd want a hell of a lot of bike :wink:

5. - Batteries that weight 82 kilos and will last unknown number of recharges (claimed 'lots', but with these claims, I'll believe it when independently confirmed)

- range of 100km measured at completely silly steady 40km/hr. Falls to only 40km at steady 100km/hr. And in actual city use? Again, let me see some independent figures.

- price: 17,500A$. This includes insurance, roadside assistance and maintenance... that's nice, and the cost of electricity used is minimal. But the actual performance is about equal to an average A$4,000 petrol-powered scoot, which will have no range issues and the remaining $13,500 still buys hell of a lot of petrol and a couple of services as well.

Conclusion: technologically neat, but still a toy, rather than a serious competition to the existing range. Check again in five years...

6. The parts for a decent EV bike can be had for much less than that bike's price would suggest, e.g.:

Engine: K91-4003 16kw peak/6kw continuous: $1490AUD
    Controller: Curtis 1205-204, $300USD + shipping
    Batteries: 44aHr Lead Acid's $175 each x 4?: $700

No where near the ridiculous price these things go for. Obviously you need the rest of the bike as well, but assuming a reasonable bike sans drive train can be had for say $3000 retail... it's not rocket science. Humans have been doing electric vehicles for over a century.