Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New EFI bike, can't ride for a while, how to keep it ok?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by undii, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Well as most people know, I'm due for surgery soon. I have NO idea how long it will put me onto the sidelines for. The possibles are I'm back into it fairly soon to possible years (worse cast, blah blah). So anyway, what pointers should I do for the bike as my partner can turn it on for a bit as per needed, she just can't ride it. If I need it to be ridden after some time, that can be organised just need to see what I should be doing to keep the bike in nice condition :grin:

Let's say if I am away for 1-2 weeks, 2+ weeks, months and (if years, probably will sell it :cry: And get something when I am able to but lets get to that only if it does happen)

Should I get the bike to turned on, ran for a period every now and then or is it better to leave it completly off for whatever time period and if so, should anything be done to the bike itself, wheels on race stands? (I have front and rear), should petrol be drained or whatver or topped up after weeks/months of being in the tank etc?

All help is appreciated ,I don't want the bike to deteriorate whilst I am not able to ride her so once I am able to get back on (weeks to months?????) I can be this straight away.

2. First of all, best of luck with the oppo (if you need luck). Quick healing thoughts from everyone to get you back on the Trumpy asap. :D

It really depends how long it's going to be out of action.
    If it's more than a couple of weeks or a month or so then it might be worthwhile doing what the American's do with their winter motorcycle storage. Google will help you out but here's the one that i've referred a couple of people to...

Motorcycle Winter Storage Guide

Generally... here's the short list...
    - Paddock stands to lift the bike so the tyres stay in shape (let the tyres down to atmo pressure or just above)
    - A couple of drops of oil in each cylinder and crank it over by hand (turn the rear wheel in gear whilst on the stand)
    - Remove battery and put it on a trickle charge inside (not in a cold garage).

Aside from that, things like doing an oil change before you store it might be a consideration if your leaving it for a long while... then flushing that stored oil before you fire it up again. There's a whole procedure for un-storing a bike aswell which is further down that page.
  3. Ah ok. An idea, would it be good or stupid to actually drain the oil if I find out it could be months and put it in storage and then fill with fresh oil before taking it out again?

Cheers for the link! Looks like I have something to read and read again while Im waiting on my surgey (2-4 weeks I guestimate still???)
  4. Because the combination of exhaust gas blowby and motor oil leads to acids, for long storage periods it is generally recommended to dump the old oil and refill with fresh stuff (cheap as you can find it, and even all the way to the top of the filler port if you want. If you do however, take the battery out and put DO NOT START tags on it). When you come to use it again, dump the oil, refill with good stuff and go ride.

For similar reasons, DON"T start the thing unless you plan to take it for a ride - a regular 5 minute idle in the shed is very poor for any vehicle.
  5. With the battery removed it's going to take a fairly determined nuffin push starting the bugger to get it started. :wink:

The starting it for 5 minutes every once in a while idea really isn't the right thing to do. It NEEDs a decent run (upwards of 1 hour) of atleast freeway speeds once a month to be kept in what would be considered 'running' order.

Also, definitely don't just drain the oil and leave it sitting there. As Bonox suggested... fill it with the cheap as buggery oil bike oil you can get. Keep in mind you don't want to fill it with any old rubbish as you are going to be pouring the oil over the clutch on the way into the system.

If it is just going to be sitting for a few weeks (2-4) then you should be alright. I left my old carbied 250 sitting in a garage with the fuel tap turned off for almost 3 months whilst i was overseas.
  6. Thats the thing I dont find out how long I will be out of action for until I recover from surgery and by then I might be in pain/no right arm for a while so I have to definitely do whatever before surgery so I will store it up 'winterize it' for the just in case circumstance of being sidelined for several month.

Thanks for the replies, all 2 of them :?
  7. I'd seriously consider having someone you know and trust just take it out for regular spins. They don't have to be massive long trips, just something to make sure that all the combustion by products get removed from the oil. In the meantime, trickle charge the battery using a proper trickle charger, they can be plugged in with the battery in situ. I got one the other day, about $50

This way, no worries about the oil, no worries about the tyres and no worries about the fuel. If you contact a few people you know you can trust, I'm absolutely positive you'll be fighting them off. As long as your insurance covers them, that'd be my choice. Just make sure they don't get too attached to it...

Anyway, fingers x'd (and we're crossing more than fingers), you'll be back on the road in time for summer (latest!).
  8. Hey Mate,

Hope the Op goes well. Shoulder problems suck eh!

What I would do due to the uncertainty of the time you may be off the bike:

Disconect the battery.
    Put it up on a race stand.
    Probably have a full tank of petrol in her but other may have a different suggestion here.

When you are ready to go again I would do the following:

Reconnect the battery (Of course).
    Pull it of the stands (Double of course)
    Fire her up and let her get warm.
    Ride to nearset servo to double check tire pressures.
    Give her a good run to get rid of the old petrol in the tank.
    Take her home with fresh petrol and replace old oil with some nice new oil and filter.

Most new modern bike are pretty idiot proof.

Best of luck.
  9. Unless I'm riding them :p

I'm wagering that if Wazza sent a pm or two to a couple of mates, he'd have instant new best friends!
  10. Mark pushes Cejay over...

Pick ME!
    Pick ME!!
  11. :LOL: :LOL:
    Oh you two..... :roll: really...diesel boy versus neon boy...... :LOL: :LOL:
  12. ...me three!! Two diesels will outshine a neon any time!! :LOL: :blackeye:

Seriously, best of luck Undii. I reckon the storage advice you've received is sound.

Cheers mate.

13. Hmm thanks for the replies. Now it's got me thinking, it would be easier to get someone to ride the bike each week or two or maybe get a couple people to alternate the hard hard duty of taking the bike for a blat :grin: Now the hard part, working out how much to charge them per hour to ride it. $100/hr or am I selling myself short? :LOL:

That's a really good idea about letting someone ride it weekly.. Much more fun than putting it in storage :)
  15. That was the point. Think about me and Neon boy!!!! Pick me, pick me!!

Your'e right, but to leave a bike like that in storage is not right. And a perfect money making opp for Undii!
  16. that was in regard to filling the crankcase to the roof with oil.