Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New decal is designed to save bikers' lives

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by davidk, Nov 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Worth discussing, and hopefully never needed!

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3062.html

Does anyone know if anything like this is available here?

2. Dunno.

I do know that, certainly up to a few years ago, race drivers might well have a Blood Group sewn onto their race suits, but, the folk at hospitals paid absolutely no attention to that info.

Now, I am not saying that the hospital folk were wrong in doing this, 'cos, yes, I've seen a few folk driving in races with someone else's overalls.

So just how do the poor buggers at Emergency "know" the info is right wrong or indifferent?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3.  Top
  4. Modifying a helmet by applying a sticker to it may result in an infringement in some states ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Go to www.mysportid.com.au didn't put blood type on mine but because I'm on some serous blood thinners and other meds but put my name DOB and an emergency contact. 35 dollars delivered. They are a little slack on follow up but product is pretty good

• Like Like x 1
  6. Allergy / alert bands can be helpful. Carry a list of medications in your wallet if you are on a lot of stuff or travelling interstate or overseas.
    Blood group is relatively immaterial as they would use universal donor blood, or haemacel, if the situation was too urgent to xmatch.

Once you arrive at the emergency department they go on immediately observable issues and clean up the rest later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. $10 for a sticker which has details on who to call to pickup the crashed bike and a reminder to pick up all the pieces....first thing on most bikers minds after a crash :p

Disagree about having personal information readily visible, last thing I want is some nutcase taking a picture of me with their 1000 megapixel phone and zooming into that QR code later....certainly met enough loonies people on the roads and received enough threats. Disagree also about stickers or cards inside the helmet, last thing I want is some first-aider or bystander ripping off my helmet in search of identification. Seen some riders putting stickers on their helmets for exactly this "Do Not Remove Helmet In Event Of Crash".

Was under the impression paramedics will treat patients with a universal blood type until tests can be performed. Like the 'baby onboard signs' and emergency contact saved in the phone...emergency services couldn't care any less about it and will follow their own protocol. Worthwhile for serious allergies though. My advice would to always carry your licence, they can pull up enough details on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. From my recent experience, it took about 6 hours for my family to find out I'd been in an accident including using Facebook, my previous employee records and a conga-line of friends. I had put all this information in my phone with the ICE thing, but nobody checked it, so its all a bit frustrating. The QR code is an interesting idea, although hospitals / retrieval services, etc will not pay any attention to the blood group, etc. We have 'universal donor' (O neg) blood that can be given without a crossmatch in dire emergency, however its not just the blood group that determines compatibility. I scored 2 units of it and have given a few as well. ;)

I think the simpler you make it, the less chance there is of something going wrong -- so the bracelet or dog tag is probably the best option. You don't have to wear it all the time, but these are things that we're probably going to want to take off you in hospital, so they will be noticed. I've decided to do the bracelet thing for longer rides in the future. At a bare minimum the things to put on it are: your name, date of birth and contact person, significant medical history (you can use commonly-used medical abbreviations here to save space like IHD for "Ischaemic Heart Disease" or T1DM for "type 1 diabetes" -- check with your GP first!), important medications (like blood thinners) and allergies. The anaesthetist in me says that if you had a problem with an anaesthetic (like a difficult airway) to put that too as its something I'd like to know if you need emergency surgery and can't talk to me. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. I wear a mysportid bracelet now. It has my basic details and a couple of people to call if needed. It might make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 Greggles, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    DrSleepyDrSleepy thought about doing the whole ICE thing on the phone but then thought well if it's locked they're not going to be able to access them anyway. Altho the Samsungs do have an emergency dialer at the front of the lock screen you can add people I just don't see EMS people having the time or possibly the inclination to check it. Mainly as they try to get the info from you (if you're conscious anyway) if not then they probably have higher priorities than going through your phone. As posted earlier I got the same braclet as PetesulPetesul has space for my name and DOB and then 4 or 5 more lines of info that you want to add. Be it medications (like me as I'm on some serious blood thinners and ACE inhibitors) or other contact people or whatever you want. Seeing as they strip you down in hospital they will find it, it's just then a matter of whether or not they use the info.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah, you can access the ICE stuff on an iPhone when its locked, although it takes a couple of steps and it's not overly intuitive. I agree with the time pressure; also, if you come off at speed you could just as easily smash your phone, turning it into an expensive paperweight. So thinking the sports ID or similar will be the way to go for me.

12. Don't crash ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Even better option lol

14. I'm not planning on repeating the exercise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The 2D barcode is a perfect idea. People could have their twitter feed in there, and scanning it could update their status with #JustCrashed.

Kinda reminds me of those fire posters. In case of fire - exit building first, then update facebook status - not before. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. I decided to apply the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid, I really want to make it easier for people to make a difference for me if I ever need it. No, people who might have to deal with me will not be stupid, but if I need to help them identify me and help me should I need it, I want to make it easier for them. It may save my life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. #17 twistngo, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  18. I just wrote my ICE information and medical allergy across an image of my bike and set that as the lock screen on my phone. That info can be read without unlocking the phone.

19. Got to say that while all this is very logical, I've done quite a few courses in accident management and first aid, and not one of them suggested looking for a mobile phone, or a wee label inside the helmet, or, for that matter a bracelet.

I'd be rather surprised, but willing to learn, if ambos and Emergency folk at hospitals look for such stuff.

Do we have any ambos or Emergency nurses or doctors who'd care to comment?

20. It really varies CrazyCamCrazyCam. I can't comment on what the paramedics are taught, but from my own experience on the trauma team & doing retrieval, I've never been taught to specifically look for a medical alert, however it is something that you tend to notice. A lot of trauma management is very systematic (primary survey, secondary survey, etc.) and requires exposing the patient. In the process, things like watches, rings, chains and bracelets will be taken off sooner or later. Likewise, if you come to theatre for emergency surgery, I'll check you over to make sure you don't have anything that could cause problems with imaging or diathermy on you. The chances of my finding an alert are pretty good -- even if its just something I notice while sticking needles in your arm or feeling your pulse.

I do agree however that the chances of someone intentionally checking your phone (especially if it comes up locked), or the inside of your helmet for information are pretty remote, especially at the scene. There's also a chance that these things could be damaged in a crash, making them useless.

• Agree Agree x 2