Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New computer, the cheapo's way.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Shiner, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Hey peeps,

My laptop is on its last legs, and I'm a bit low on cash at them moment so I decided to learn something new and build my own budget tower.

All for a parts cost of $620 Australian, including buying the O/S (windows 7) its a pretty good deal, mostly will be used for internet, media and a little bit of lower level gaming until I build a full gaming rig.

Cheap (Shaw brand) gaming case with 750w PSU - $35 good price eh? basic but solid.
    power lead since PSU's don't seem to come with them these days
    120mm fan for the case, only had one small one at the back.
    Asrock 970 extreme3 mobo
    AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5ghz, able to be overclocked to 4ghz or similar.
    seagate 1tb HDD
    2 x 4gb g-skill ripjaw 1600 DDR3 ram
    MSI GT630 2gb video card (mainly for the HDMI output)
    windows 7 64-bit
    ancillary bits like keyboard, mouse, thermal paste, HDMI cable etc.

Runs well, currently hooked up to my 32" HD LED tv since I didn't have spare cash for a monitor, loving it though, might end up keeping this just as a multimedia rig when I build a gaming computer.

How do you get these parts home from a computer store I hear you not ask though? well the Shiner way...

Overall, with beer it was an easy build. Just took watching a youtube video and reading the motherboard layout in the manual to hook everything up. Enjoyable too, Iearnt a lot, and by the time I got to installing windows I was over a 6-pack down and called it a night quickly after.

The only mistake I made was putting the wrong plug where the 12v mobo power goes, and couldn't work out why it wasn't starting. But it was fixed quick enough and it seems to run great. Just waiting for my mobile internet stick for it to register with the ISP so I can get steam and see how it runs basic games (Rage, total war shogun-2, homefront)

:) get out there and try it if you haven't done it before. without having to buy Windows, its only $500 worth of parts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. top effort mate and the price is worth it if u r prepared to try :3.5s:
  3. Yep. Son used to build his own towers too. Then he knew he could put in what he wanted, not just the crap supplied.