Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New chain - seems noisy

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pringa8, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Just had the chain and front and back sprockets replaced. Do new chains take a while to wear in? Seems a bit noisy (i didn't think it would make any noise at all). Should a new chain be making any noise at all? The noise is constant also.

2. yep.. they will take about two weeks of comuting to wear in corectly... remember to oil / lube the chain and keep it clean...
  3. If they didnt replace sprockets (basically front ) with OE then noise will probably be this (and for the life of the sprocket) as most OE have a rubber damper fitted but not after market.
    Two weeks of commuting to wear in??? None of mine have been noisy due to a nice new smooth chain, but yes they are a bit stiffer until a couple of hundred kays or so.
  4. Check your chain tension, just to be sure.
  5. I just thought I would throw this in as an INCASE, but the rear wheel is aligned properly is it?

Do you know where abouts the sound is coming from???