Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New chain and sprocket for Yamaha Virago?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Theninja, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I have a 1994 Yamaha Virago 250 which i've been having some trouble with lately. As of late the bike has had no guts whatsoever (used to do at least 100km in 3rd gear and now it only does 50), and is terrible at taking off. The chain makes a clunking sound when I ease off the clutch and apply throttle to move which is worrying. I took the bike out to the local motorbike mechanic a few weeks ago and he claimed the clutch was slipping and the chain was loose. Both the chain and clutch were appropriately adjusted. Now the problem has returned and i'm running out of ideas.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

PS: In addition to that, the bike has pretty poor fuel economy. I barely get 150km to a tank from rock bottom to full to the brim. The manufacturer's website claims 34km/L and a 9.5 litre tank, meaning that it's using double the fuel it should.

2. If your mechanic has already looked at the clutch, chain and sprockets and given them the ok its gotta be something else. Did the problem go away and come back after he adjusted the clutch?

Is the performace at low revs normal but not at high revs? Have you had a look at the condition of the spark plugs, is the bike running rich?

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html

Are there any blockages in the fuel lines or the fuel filter? Are the carbs dirty? Is there rust in your tank?

I might be wrong but if the engine is sapped of power the first thing I would be looking at is if the fuel delivery and mix.

3. Compression test.

4. OK if the clutch was sus, maybe you burned it out and the adjustment couldn't fix it.

Is the bike revving more than normal when you ride it?