Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New CBF 250 - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by sjnn, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Im look for a learner legal bike which I plan on keeping for at least 2-3 years.

Originally i wanted a vtr 250, however I came across the new cbf 250.
    I dont mind the look of them and it does feel good to ride, its retailing at 6k new.

Does anyone have any input? I know its not gonna do what a vtr 250 does but considering the price and the fact its brand new... do you think its a worthwhile buy?

2. Gday mate,

Just my personal opinion, id say go with your first idea. The vtr will be much more friendly in the long run, from afternoon blats, to highway cruising it will do it all much better. That extra 15 horespower or whatever will make the difference.

Here in N.S.W you can get a vtr that is 2 years old for the $6k.

Although i do understand that you may want warranty and zero kilometers with your bike.

P.S you have to admit, the cbf isnt as good looking as the vtr, and from what ive heard vtr's sound awesome with an aftermarket can.

P.P.S I also should say im not biased, i dont have a vtr.

3. The cbf is a single cylinder air cooled unit, with a cheaper setup of suspension. VTR is a V-Twin water cooled bike (longer living and can run at higher rev's for longer without excessive wear).

Its a great commuter bike, but they are built to a price.

You will find that for keeping the bike for 2-3 years, the investment in a VTR will be worth the extra money.
  4. where did this little gem come from?
  5. Basic material science. In its most simple form (unfortunately it is not)wear is a function of surface friction and temperature.
  6. oh good grief! Both of those are controlled by the lubricant. Neither of them are controlled by the water jacket. Basic material science != design. Besides, you ought to be looking at tribological studies, not material science.

All the water jacket does is bring the engine up to temperature more quickly (emissions criteria) and mean you can work to slightly smaller tolerances and thus get more power out of the thing. Water cooled engines are also a wee bit quieter. As for water cooled engines last longer, arghghghhhhh. Piffle! Not only is it unproven, it is completely irrelevant to the decision the OP wants to make.
  7. I'd buy the VTR.
  8. why you want to keep it for that long?

have a look at a spada. although it's 2nd hand you will being paying at least half and you won't lose much money when it comes to sell. that's if it's in reasonable nick and provided you maintain it properly, of course.

more money left in the bank for other things.:)
  9. I have A CBF. you will outgrow it quick if you are going to ride it often.
    Very cheap tho
  10. wha.? six big ones for a 250= cheap!

i must be a tight arse.

11. [​IMG]

12. +1

Get the vtr and thank us later, seriously.
  13. no kidding einstein. What do you think the oil does?

By this obviously well thought out "try to justify myself google", you've just said that all air cooled engines are a theoretical impossibility.
  14. +2 - A sensational little bike.

15. arghhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't listen to them!

have you factored the cost of insurance, gear?

oh, hell: you'll love it :twisted:
  16. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine5.htm

17. My little CBF has just happily done about 5000 k in about a week, if you ignore the time I spent in various places. I dragged her, my laptop, clothes, tools and me all the way up to Queensland and back, and did a few shorter trips last weekend.

Frankly she's a bit underpowered, especially on highways. Of course HP isn't the only fun factor; a relatively small concern I would say. It's just it can be a nuisance when you don't have enough.

I love my bike to bits (hopefully not literally) but if I had my time over again, I'd probably go the VTR over the CBF.
  18. You clearly don't understand how air-cooled bikes work.
  19. that site is useful, but more of a "mechanical things for dummies" than "toyota wants you to come and design engines for them".

Also, their page includes no reasoning or evidence to back the generic claim, and probably includes lawn mowers as well as more durable equipment with no account of maintenance.

I guess all the bmw airhead owners had better put their 500,000mile bikes in the skip because they don't work well for long periods. Same with all the suzuki GS owners, honda CT owners etc.

Anyway, all of it is irrelevant to the question at hand - a CBF isn't going to fall apart even if you do sydney-melbourne runs on it all week!

PS: the main thing that keeps an air cooled vehicle cool (and working) is not the fins on the outside. The fins merely control the expansion of the cylinder (you need to reduce the cylinder temp otherwise the thermodynamics stop working when it reaches combustion temp) and keep the valves cool. It is the oil that is carrying away heat from bearings and piston rings, as well as keeping the valve stems cool. You even get oil sprays onto the underside of the piston to keep it cool.

I got other news for you as well - the most reliable high specific power engine in the world has to be the gas turbine. You can get 100,000hp from a turbine the size of a suitcase, and yet they are all oil and air cooled.
  20. Hey sjnn

My 2cents worth is not of the technical kind as I am a newbie to bikes. But I was in exactly the same position as you.

Firstly my 'Pre-Learner's' was done on a CB250 - Hated it! Told the instructor that I was looking at the ZZR250 but he said because I was short (5'3'') it would not be a very comfortable bike to ride because for starters my arms would be fully extended instead of relaxed etc. etc.

So he recommended I look at the Honda VTR250, Yamaha Scorpio and some other bike which I cannot remember.

So I've done a lot of reading up re: Honda VTR250, CBF250 & Yamaha Scorpio.

I tried the CBF250 and VTR250 out at a dealership.

I didn't like the CBF250 because:
    * The seat was wider than the VTR and thus very uncomfortable
    * CBF250 was also higher than the VTR....so not great for shorty like me
    * CBF250 felt heavier (for me)

In the end, I went for a 2006 VTR250 with 2,500km on the clock which I got for $6,700 and.... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!

Someone quoted insurance from NRMA which I agree is ridiculous. I went with 'www.insuremyride.com.au' and even with 0 years of riding experience and a L-plate, I got fully comp. for +-$450 (my 65% no claims on my car insurance helped)

It's worth spending the extra bit on the VTR - specially if you're planning to hold onto it for a while...