Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Brand of Dirt Bike manufactured in China - Need advice

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by ZoCsTa, May 1, 2007.

1. Hey Guys,

I saw a dirt bike today manufactured by a company called Zongshen. It's only a 4 stroke 200cc single cylinder bike, but thought it might be good as an entry level bike, as I would not go off road heaps and want something just to have a play around a bit.

It cannot be registered because of ADR requirements, so at least there wouldn't be any ongoing costs (except for services and parts).

I would appreciate if anyone has heard of this brand of bike or ridden/used them to see if they are:

1. Worth the $2000 ride away (put in the back of a trailer) price tag
    2. reliable. The last thing I wanna do is get stuck in the bush cause the bike has broken down, and
    3. able to carry my 95kg, 190cm frame

More info can be found on www (dot) zongsheninternational (dot) com (dot) au/ZS200GY-A-2.htm

Sorry about the above dots but I can't post URL yet as I have done less than 5 posts, and I need input on this matter.

Look forward to your feedback especially from the off roaders on here.

2. 2 grand is cheap. Still, I'd personally search the trading post/bikesales to see what you could get for those bucks second hand. You can probably find an oldish XR250 or something for those bucks - that could be rec OR road registered if you want to go down that path later on.

Still, if you buy the Zongshen, make sure you tell us your experiences with it, I've never seen one before and I'm looking forward to the invasion of the chinese super cheapies.

3. pay peanuts, get monkeys.

compare price to similar bikes from other Japanese manufacturers and make up your own mind.

4. id be very careful... make sure you can easily get spares, like gaskets and stuff. My younger brother bought a crappy chinese scooter for $700, and has spent at least that again keeping it running... that said, i'd spend 2g's on a secondhand brand dirty, cos parts u can get, and youre not impressing anyone with a no name. I might be wrong, the bike might be grat too, but make sure the dealer has youre back.

5. Be sure before you buy it that you feel you can handle the massssif 6 kilowatts from the engine as well...

(that's piss-poor, btw.)

6. Zongshen are not your average Chinese manufacturer. They have joint ventures with Piaggio and Harley Davidson, they manufacture 110cc engines for Honda in China, are giving the Japanese 'big four' a hard time in asia, and in Vietnam they have reduced Honda's market share by 60% Both UK and Australian mags have done reviews of Zongshen, and they scrubbed up pretty well for the money as I recall.

7. +1

I have found this to be one true lesson in life...

I'd Stick with Loz's idea of the XR.........

There are parts for these XR's anywhere if anything goes pear shaped.
    I'd be surprised if there is any "real" support for Zongshen available in Oz.

Hot tip,...... dirt bikes break down... things bend and break off easier than you think.... who wants to be waiting for a month or so for a lever etc. Sure, you can bodge one up from another model, but I'd personally look elsewhere if you have longevity in mind.

Out of interest, what kind of aftersales support does the seller provide?

Just my 2 cents... cos u asked .... :wink:

8. Chinese manufacture of engines... a special article by your friendly neighbourhood Ktulu

In my last employ, I sold equipment powered by Honda small engines [pressure cleaners and centrifugal pumps mainly] - 5.0-13hp Single cyl 4 stroke keyed shaft Hondas.
    [Nigh on the simplest of motors you can power a go-kart with.]
    Also sold up to 24hp twin-cyl jobs, but there was no competition from China for those yet.

We were receiving increasing market pressure from chinese copies of Honda engines in the 5.5-9.0hp single cyl range.
    Now, designs and patents for a particular small engine expire after 25 years [or maybe it was 30... can't remember exactly] but essentially what people were getting when they bought a Chonda was a late 70's or early 80's Honda design - flogged and produced in a factory in China.

Pros:
    - they work.
    - they're reliable enough.
    - they produce the horsepower.

Cons:
    - warranty and parts is a little difficult.
    - simple servicing also different: Honda's first mandate against the chinese onslaught was to fire any Honda dealer [ie, your local mower bloke, etc.] who had a Chinese Honda copy motor in stock or for service.
    - some components were poor quality: kill switch failed quickly, air filters not much chop, spark plugs by Dodgy Bros.

Overall though, coz they're so damn cheap - if you know how to do basic maintenance on one yourself: they're not a stupid investment.
    Plus, if it roots up in the first year, they'll give you another one.

It's the 'Bunnings Sydnrome' for small engines.

HOWEVER
    The thing is - the quality of equipment out of China improves every year.
    As they grab market share, they grab profit, and a certain amount of that is reinvested into their manufacturing process. Quality IS on the rise - and if the price is attractive, it is no longer a stupid decision to buy a Chinese made product and ignore the "You get what you pay for" people.

What this means for motorbikes
    If you buy a new Zongshen from a dealer, I'm sure it'll start and run and if there are any problems in the first year: the dealer will fix them for you under whatever warranty applies.
    If they are organised, parts won't be a problem either - unless you break something obscure.

Your resale value is going to be sweet bugger all.

Should I buy one?
    If you have mechanical knowledge and skill... or a mate who does and accepts beer as currency: you can probably save yourself some $$$ and buy a Chinese engine powered product. It's not like they don't work.
    If you'll rely completely on a dealer for your servicing, know nothing yourself, and particularly if you lack a trailer to cart the thing down the road if it doesn't start one-day: you may wish to invest in something Japanese.

9. Interestingly though, the people who sell these Chinese bikes online offer TWO WEEK or a WHOLE MONTH'S warranty!
    How's that for faith in product?
    I agree mainly with the spare parts issue, there is no dealer network and no second hand gear around to pilfer.

Regards, Andrew.

11. Good write up Ktulu - there is a shop in Brookvale that has just opened and sells something like these. Of course he said they'd be fine. But parts would be my main issue - I had an Aprilia and had to wait months for basic parts.

Spend the money on track days and rider training - plenty of time for dirt bikes.

This Chinese bike I doubt would have top rate components - so your dirt experience is straight away compromised. So if you are that keen. save up and spend maybe $3-4K on a few year old Jap bike that you can enjoy and at least get fixed easy enough

12. Until they are more popular in Oz i wouldnt touch them. Spares, warranty.
    Get a cheap 2nd hand chook chaser that you can get parts for :wink:

13. If anybody is interested here is my personal experience of Chinese machinery. I own a 110cc 4-stroke Chinese 'no-name' quad which I use as a tug to pull my aircraft out of its hanger. While not a Zhongshen, just an e-Bay special at $650 brand new, this has actually been pretty good so far except for a few minor issues. All four of the tyre valve cores had to be replaced as the rubber in them was perished, resulting in slow tyre deflation. The battery died fairly quickly and was replaced by a gel item from Supercheap for $60, but other than that it has given me no major issues whatsoever. The motor is a CT110 'Postie' clone with auto forward and a manual reverse. If you look at the second picture you can see that the aircraft it pulls for its living is a lot bigger and heavier than the quad, and it has no problems at all. I'm not saying they are all like this, but mine works bloody hard and never misses a beat. Mine is just a 'no-name', so Zhongshen which is the cream of the Chinese crop, should be better if anything. Its easy to knock, but its harder to knock at the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dude that is the coolest shed I've seen in a long time.

15. my mate had a weird arse Korean Bike (not hyosung) roadlegal and all. Parts where very easy to get right from the importer delievered same day for 15$ or go pick em up.

My point is ring up the guy and order a sproket set,piston n rings and a chamchain see how much he will charge u and when he can deliver it. That way u will know at least u can get it fixed.

As far as servicing and repaires any mechanic with two arms will be able to fix it even if it is a no name AS LONG AS HE CAN GET PARTS.

16. Where are you going to ride it if you cannot get it at least rec registered? Do you own or know someone that can has private property you can use?

I live up near a state forest which is excellent for trail riding but a bike which cannot get rec registered is useless.

17. have heard from other owners that these super cheap things are supercheap because they don't use good gear.

Example: No swingarm or steering head bearings, just a plastic sleeve. These are comments from people who bought them for the kids to ride with dad, and the bike fell apart after a very short period - not necessarily the engine mind you, but there is more to a bike than that. Response from the 'dealer' is that you rode it too hard and is therefore your problem.

Your biggest problem will be after sales support - parts, warranty and basic maintenence if you aren't prepared to do it yourself.

Like many things, you pays your money and you takes your choice. At the very least though, think about what it will cost you in the time you want to own it (including resale) and if it needs to be registered to ride where you want. (If you want to ride it in state forests etc, don't be a prick and ruin it for the rest of us by using and unregistered bike!)

18. My old man brought one of the Chinese brand bikes for running around the farm as it was on the market and he didn't want to buy one that was any more expensive. It was a 125 cost about $1400 bucks and came flat packed in a crate from some place down the south end of Warrigal road in Melb.

One of his nephews is a mechanic and he put it together for him. Had things like electric start that took a bit to get working properly. And he needed to go around the whole thing tightening things up.

Anyway I took it for a spin around the property when I went home for a weekend and I had to keep coming back adjusting the brakes and a few things that kept coming loose. It was a bit of a pain in the ass. It rode quite sloppy compared to every other bike I have ridden.

If its just for an entry into dirt bike riding with a few mates and you expect to ride once every 3 months and not too hard it could be a cheap option. I'm looking at getting back into dirt bike riding and I will be going for a second hand brand name bike.

Oh and I also had to change one of the tubes on the bike in the first 400kms.

Just an add that he had an off on it going around the sheep at not a very high pace and he bent the front forks.

19. My local mechanic sells em.

He replaces a few of the bits that are known to be a little on the shitehousen side. Doesn't have any real issues with em.

So long as you don't expect to much from it I cant see why you would have any major issues with it.

20. Re: New Brand of Dirt Bike manufactured in China - Need advi

If you're talking about the 200GY-2 then according to the Australian Zongshen webstie (which seems pretty new) it DOES have ADR compliance along with their 250 "sportsbike".
    Also noticed that they now seem to have an ADR approved 250cc v-twin cruiser. That could actually prove to be quite succesful depending on price because the modest 13kw output actually isn't that bad compared with some of the Japanese baby cruisers (think the Virago is only around 15kw for example).
    http://www.zongsheninternational.com.au