Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Brakes setup

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by alladnek2, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Hey everyone,

I have a 1980 yamaha xs400 special. I am very much a newb when it comes to fixing up bikes & am trying to do up this one to be a nice little cafe racer. I have stripped it apart to give it all a good clean & replace the parts that need to be replaced.

The question I have comes down to the brakes, am I able to replace the front 'single-right' brake (rotor, caliper & so on) with a complete new brake kit, say a ebc or brembo rotor & caliper set or do I have to stick to the stock standard setup it has at present (new ones of course). I know that ebc has universal rotors & such, but do I have to stick with these or can put on say a new performance braking system to lift the braking performance. I apologise if this was a really stupid question but one I just needed to find out.

Cheers
    Andrew

2. I'm guessing a lot would depend on the location and position of the mounting points on the forks. If you can't match these with another caliper, then you're stuck with stock. Unless, of course, you replace the forks as well. Then you might need to replace the front wheel :LOL: ... etc

3. To replace a non OEM front caliper onto your bike, you will have to take into account several things.

Does the after market caliper offer a direct attachment to your fork with or without a bracket / Is the rotor a direct attachment too?

It is better to use the OEM rotor and then fit the caliper.

If not then you'll have to do a few thngs to fit the new caliper to the bike.

Does it need a bracket, attached to the fork leg, to create the proper offset both in angle and distance, to ensure proper rotor to pad contact?

What is the overall thickness ( width) of the new caliper? does it hit the spoke of the wheel when the wheel rotate?

Is the new caliper much heavier with an extra attaching bracket than the OEM caliper?

Bracket can be made of Alu of 6061 or better.

If all the above checked out O.K, then to locate the best position for attaching the caliper to the fork leg, you'll have to do a trial and error for the best angle where the caliper should be, the best rotor to pad contact and the clearing of the outer circumference of the rotor with the inner caliper body which the rotor rotates thru.

Most tolerances for clearence would be quite small ( < 5mm) so it is best you do a proper try out with the new caliper before fabricating a new bracket for attaching the caliper to the fork leg.

4. I was half-joking, but have you considered a trip to the wreckers and replacing the whole front end with a dual-disc setup, forks, wider wheel, etc etc, from a newer and better-spec bike? I once had a Honda 750/4 onto which some had grafted the complete front end from a Gold Wing. The 38mm forks and better brakes and lighter front wheel made it a great handling bike :).

5. Great handling? Or better handling? ;-)

I agree with hornet. I'd be looking into the Yamaha model-range for a donor system. I know from experience (and hornet's post) that there are certain Honda combinations that will transplant easily. If you don't wish to swap entire front ends, it may still be possible to do fork legs and calipers/wheels and rotors.

I think this is a better option than looking at the aftermarket. Especially with an older bike.

cheers
    ian