Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New boy :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by bobberfan, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Howdy everyone!

Got got my L's at the ripe old age of 39 (it took a while to convince the wife and I have had to part with some of my beloved guitars) and I'm on the hunt for XVS650 so I can hit the road. Hopefully not literally!

I love the bobber look bikes and the XVS650 seems to be the best option, but does anyone have any experience with the Honda VT400? Sumoto have some great looking bikes, but I hear their reputation isn't too great......

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome aboard.

I paid my dues in the pre-LAMS era so I don't have direct experience with the VT400 or XVS but I've heard and read a lot of good things about both. Good luck with the search.
  3. Welcome to the forum!
  4. I have no experience with that bike, but Sumoto has been on the nose on Netrider for as long as I can remember

Welcome, too!
  5. Thanks guys! I think the best idea is to ride them both, one man's trash is another's treasure as they say.
  6. Welcome bobberfan, can't help you on the bike questions I don't know those models very well. Sumoto get mixed reviews although we haven't heard anything for a while. There was one of their reps on here but he hasn't logged in for a while.
  7. I have a mate with an xvs650. Bulletproof those bikes. Heaps of options for customising as well.
  8. Thanks Josh! That's pretty much what I had heard too.
  9. Ha ha....thanks Womble. Seems like Des was trying hard but ultimately no real difference? I had seen that thread already, that was how I found netrider!
  10. Yes the search engines classification of posts on the site is lightning fast, something to be aware of when you post. ;)
  11. Welcome bobberfanbobberfan, my first bike was the XVS650, and as others note, they are great to ease into riding. Comfortable, willing, maintenance free. In comparison to the Honda 400 I think you get a little better power-to-weight with the 650, and at highway speed I think it would be a little easier on the larger engine.
    Have a read of the cruiser thread. There's a few discussions there regarding bobber styling on the 650's.
  12. Yep heaps of aftermarket stuff for the XVS's around.

Good first bike if you want a cruiser as well. Very forgiving and as said above, pretty well bulletproof.
  13. hi mate. Just got my L's myself and bought an XVS650. Good Bike, youll get no issues from it, though you may crave more power sooner than later. theres a wide variety of things to do with it (I know because im in the process of doing some of those things myself haha) My Brother has the 400 and both are solid choices for a first cruiser. wish ya luck with it!
  14. welcome aboard :] id be careful with sumoto
  15. Welcome to the world of bikes and NR...

I started with the XVS650 and as a matter of fact, still got it. Love it so much. Great bikes they are too...

The XVS is a better choice than the VT, IMO.

Best of luck...
  16. Thanks for the feedback guys! The general consensus seems to be that the XVS650 has the edge over the VT400 which is what I suspected anyway. Now to start shopping!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Do you have a budget yet?

Are you gonna go for Custom or the Classic model?
  18. Definitely the Custom, loves the Bobber look and the smaller front guard lends itself to that already. There is one in Peter Stevens Croydon (which fortunately/unfortunately is only about 800ms from my house :] ) for $8,900 and last years model. I am tempted, but maybe I should get one with a few more km's on the clock so its not so shiny and new-just in case.......They do seem to hold their value pretty well though!
  19. Welcome Bobberfan to NR, good luck with the search for your new bike. Stay safe n upright.