Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New bikes cost more than we think

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by TWEET, Aug 1, 2014.

1. I'm wondering if anyone else has felt that the purchase of a new bike (or used bike) always leads to the spending of much cash post purchase?

I always seem to find a stack of things I need (That's subjective based upon how much you car about your toys) to buy whenever I get new toys. I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to looking after things, so possibly I spend more than most would on pamper items. I have a few things I buy for every bike regardless.

Maybe I'm noticing it more this time round because I've bought the most expensive bike I've ever owned (cash so it's my real money) and the 'extras' seem to cost more too.

Example - Bought the new K1600GT $33450
    Then added;
    ** Headlight cover - US$139 + US$56 freight - Nobody stocks the high quality ones here, only thin acrylic, so had to bring it in.

** BMW specific GPS (bike is factory prepped for it) AUD$770 landed, but sourced from USA because here the dealers want $1100 for it.
    ** Carbon Tank pad - $65 but usually $350 for half tank cover in genuine hand laid carbon like Geelong Carbon Craft
    ** Ilium Crash bars US$300 - A stack without these is almost certain to grind the engine and BMW's quote to replace an engine in this bike is a whopping $13K!
    ** Genuine carbon front fender extender $70
    ** 3M stone guard film, $595 for full bike coverage to protect against stone chips, scratches and for ease of keeping clean
    ** Ilium Sidestand enlarger $50 - commonly fitted to BMW's as they are heavy and the base of the stand can easily dig into soft ground resulting in a drop.
    ** Oil cooler guard US$39
    ** Specially engineered inner sump plug US$22 - Common for BMW spanners to over tighten stock one and strip the hex out of the head resulting in drills and easyouts.

So that is an additional $2106 (approx) above the purchase price, and luckily I have 2 Autocom systems for my other bikes so I will use one of those to interface with the stock audio and gps systems fitted to it, otherwise that would be another $500. The design of the bike means the tank is actually a 3 piece fairing cover, otherwise I'd also buy a Bagster full tank cover in addition to the carbon fibre one, and they are about $300.
    That also doesn't account for the extra wax, microfibre cloths, chamois etc I like to buy for washing new toys.

It all adds up................
  2. Its a lot of extra money, but against the background of the eye-watering price of the bike, it's not much......
  3. You get a hell of a lot of performance and bang for your buck when you buy a bike. Your getting super car performance for the price of a new Hyundai Excel.

Plus you gotta spend the hard earned on something.
  4. If this cruise missile had a price tag = to a Hyundai Excel or it's now equivalent, we would be cheering. This is almost 3x that cost.
  5. Compare it to the the Ferrari F40 that it outperforms then. Same deal.;-)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OK, I'm intrigued... How is the bike factory prepped for a specific GPS?
  7. I don't get the question. You want extras you spend cash. Otherwise you don't.
  8. I think what you've highlighted is how the manufacturers have conspired to make you spend more than you really planned: "Would you like fries with that?" :LOL:
  9. #9 TWEET, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Thing is Paul, none of what I bought other than the GPS is a factory part, all aftermarket.

Dima, the question is, do you find when you buy a new bike, you tend to spend a considerable sum more on those extras, or do you just buy the bike, buy a tank of fuel and ride it? Essentially does the bike always ends up costing quite a bit more than first thought when you signed the contract to buy it.

BMW have as an option in many other countries a powered and wired GPS cradle that is specifically designed to fit into the top of the cowling under the screen on the bike. It can also be integrated with the factory optional Apline audio system.

In Australia, we get the bikes factory fitted with all the fruit, so the Alpine audio is installed, and the GPS cradle, wiring etc is all installed. That cradle fits the Garmin range of navigators produced exclusively for BMW, namely the Navigator IV and Navigator V.

A quick look where it goes here:
  10. I'm just jealous, :), I'd love to HAVE two grand to spend on my bike :LOL:
  11. I personally always buy tankgrips (techspecs), few protectors (frame sliders, engine covers etc) and that's about it
    I may get few things later as I go (such as rearsets) if I need but that would be after a few miles on a new bike.

So technically yes. I always spend more cash. But the amount is not very significant in comparison.
  12. With my limited experience buying bikes I've come to expect i'll spend $40+ fixing the lights and $80ish fixing the horn. On that note I don't like that the gs500 has no place to hide a stebel nautilus, i'll probably get some loud but unpleasant hella supertones. Down the track I might get into accessories more but not for a while.
  13. You didn't HAVE to buy all those things, but having those things (most of them) to protect your investment is a good idea.
  14. Yeah, but you didn't actually _need_ any of that.

It's great to have of course & we pay the price because we want to.
  15. I almost always find myself 'accessorizing' new bikes, the amount varies but is generally substantial.

Yes it costs money but it makes me feel more like my bike isn't exactly identical to every other bike of the same model out there.
  16. we all know bikes are bottomless money pits, but I'm cool with that because i love my bikes.
  17. Bought my bike new...added heated grips (have to have them where I live!) and a set of barkbusters....(also needed where I live! - sometimes wish I lived somewhere warmer for bike riding!)...got oggy nobs on front and rear...other than that probably a set of crash bars in the future. These are necessities especially for a noob like me lol.
  18. Especially track bikes!

Rear sets, pegs, tank grips, wind screen, on quick shifter, etc. etc.

The list goes on and on. It's part of the fun!
  19. I wouldn't be spending that money, because I have no desire for any of those things. Accessories are for people with a "gadget" mindset. People who" have" to have something.

But I recognise I'm the odd one out here. I'm not really a consumer in that sense. I tend to only buy what I need, rather than what I want.

This however:

is a scam. They acknowledge they have a design flaw and then charge you to fix it?
    • Agree Agree x 1