Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Biker! (Oh God...ANOTHER one!!)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Big W, May 18, 2011.

1. Gday all. Long time reader first time poster!

New to the biking community & currently on my L's. I ride a Honda CB250 (how embarrasing!) & wanting to upgrade asap-aren't we all! Not a fan of the crotch-rocket, more the laid back armchair cruiser type. You can tell this as I wear a Harley leather jacket & gloves, Johnny Rebs & open faced helmet....on a CB250!

Is it any wonder I'm not up to the 'dangerous bikie attracting chicks' phase yet!?! Although a Ridgeback did come & check me out for a bit though!

I'm what they call a mature age rider! I can assure you it's only 'mature' in age (40yrs). Currently practising riding locally & doing all the stunts you need to to pass onto my P's. The fastest I've been is 80 k's & I don't think the poor little CB250 will go much faster (not that I legally can anyway!). I get buffeted around a hellava lot at that speed, so I don't want to push it anyway!

My first question though...when you go to the shops, what do you do with your helmet? I don't know whether to leave it locked in my pillion bag (locked?? The bag can just be detached from the pack frame!) or lug it around with me.

I've seen guys leave their helmets on the bike itself, but I don't trust/like teenagers! They tend to wreck/steal/piss/spit/poop in whatever they can for a laff!

Anyway, as I said before, I've been reading for a while & now really happy to be part of the forum. Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys & gals and maybe even help someone else out???

2. Welcome...

for the helmet, I have a helmet lock that goes through the d rings of the helmet and through a solid part of the frame. If I'm at work I take it in with me though.

There are most practise sessions ran in homebush. I've been to a couple now and they're a very friendly bunch :D They will be worth getting yourself along too.
  3. Welcome to NR. Don't be too ashamed of the CB250. Not a bad bike.
    Man it would suck to be in Sydney, stuck on only 80. As for the buffeting, relax your upper body and grip with your lower body. You'll get tossed around less as the wind may buffet your body, but by being relaxed, you wont transfer that to the bike. As @carpetbelly said, get down to the practice sessions. If they're anything like the Melbourne ones (and I believe they are), it should be awesome.
  4. Thanks guys. I printed off what I have to do for the MOST test & went & bought some little plastic traffic cones from KMart & set them up at a local Library carpark (It's Sydney...Libraries are virtual ghost towns here!!). Just learning what the bike feels like & toss it around a bit. learning to lean, corner etc.

Did my Learners at Mona Vale HART. Was a good coupla days & enjoyed it a lot.

It doesn't feel 'safe' going over 80 yet so I probably wouldn't even if I wanted to! Being a light bike too, adds to the 'unsteadiness' of the whole buffeting thing, but I do need to try & keep relaxed though. Must do the chicken wing flap mentioned in one of the tutorials on here to relax.
  5. Welcome on board Big W. You have a nice bike don't be ashamed of it. Everybody has to start somewhere. As for wanting to upgrade your bike asap I'd focus on wanting to upgrade your riding skills asap and the bike can come later after you're skills have improved and you have 100% control of the cb250 in all conditions.

Where I go my helmet follows (most times).
  6. Hell yeah mate, I won't be upgrading until I've tamed this wild ol' CB two-fitty!

So. I'm happy to wait. There's no way I'm riding up to Pie in the Sky at Mt White on this mule, thats fer sure! I'd hate to get in the way of the Bigger kids! So far, I'm havin a lot of fun learning (just loath looking like it!)

Good thing is I've riden a bicycle for many years so my balance is ok & I'm FULLY aware of not being seen. I've had flashing lights/vests etc & STILL been knocked off! So a few of the 'looking ahead' etc skills have carried over thank God!
  7. Lol the wild ol two fiddy haha

After you're confident and trust you're skills and instinct you can tackle those roads you make mention of regardless of the size of your bike. Being a good rider doesn't depend on the size of your bike but rather the skill of the person on top of the bike. I'm sure if the 125 & 250cc world championship racers went on the roads you mentioned they'd go faster then most 600 & 1000cc bikes there.

It's all about having fun in doing what you're enjoying. I was in the same position early last year and still continually learning and loving it.
  8. Hey Big W! From a fellow Learner to another, welcome to riding! I remember sitting on the cb250s during my pre learners and their definately alot comfier than my current bike from memory. Ride proudly with your L plates, i've found (some) drivers tend to give you quite a fair bit of space once the realise yout a Learner so its good for something...sometimes.

As for the helmet i used to carry it around with me but got tired with it. Went out and brought a simple $10 bike chain and now tie it around my helmet, putting the chain through the handlebars and front forks (not sure if ive described that properly). Maybe worth a try?

Anyways, stay safe on the roads and maybe see you around during some homebush sessions!

-Cheers, Albie
  9. Welcome. A bike is a bike, I don't think any bike is "embarrassing", especially if you don't have any big ego, look at me I ride a 1000cc monster, issues. At the moment I do not have a bike at all, I would just about ride anything just to be able to ride ;)

When I used to ride I always carried my helmet with me, although having said that, my helmet spent most of it's time on my head. I used to enjoy actually riding my bike rather than going to down to the beach or a cafe and standing next to my bike.

Heaps of people leave their helmets with their bike without any issues.