Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New bike seat

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by waynemac, Aug 11, 2012.

1. I am thinking upgrading the seat on my BMW R1200RT for more comfort. I have a sheepskin on it but reckon it can be better for longer rides which I regularly do. I am wondering if anyone has done this and where you had it done and did it make a substantial difference. I am in SA but can't find anybody here.

2. try finding a motor trimmer who can perhaps change the padding or reshape the seat to give u a better riding position

3. My dad's K1200RS seat benefits greatly from a sheepskin cover. Know from experience too. This makes it more comfortable, it doesnt help the shape, so consider that first.

4. There are aftermarket seat options available for many bikes from companies like Sargeant, Corbin, etc if you decided to leave your OEM seat stock. I have recently purchased a Sargeant seat for my GSX650F and it is a massive difference over the stock seat.
    Personally I would be wary of just having a motor trimer reshape the seat without them having experience doing seats. While they will do good quality work, if they don't have experience how do you know if the shape they are putting in to the seat, etc, will do the job? There are a couple of places in Melbourne that alter seats, etc, however having been down the path of sending a seat interstate to be altered, I wouldn't do it again as it really is the sort of thing that you want to try it out before they send it back, etc to make sure that you get it just right.