Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New bike ready to pick up..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bondibadger, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hi there.

I just got my Ls 3 weeks ago. My riding experience is quite limited. I'm a pretty adventurous 32 year old Kiwi.

Situation is I've ridden bikes here and there never owned one or used one for an extended time.

I've bought an aprilia sxv 450 from a friend for a very nice price. Its had all the known issues and dramas fixed. I was looking at a first bike DRZ 400 sm, but they were out of my price range. Anyway this is the bike. Im aware this is a quick bike, but iove also been told given the type of bike its also very easy to learn on and very forgiving, and im pretty good with the tools.

Its been serviced and is ready, except its over on the shore. Do I trailer it home so i can become aquainted with it gradually on my own terms and streets, or pick up my nuts and ride it home given the only bike riding I have done in the last 10 years was to pass my L's (which i did extremely well i must admit). Ive been sitting on this for a few days.

Thoughts? Good to be able to lean on others experience here, its a great forum.

2. Depends on your confidence, and how busy the area is.
    If there is a lot of traffic it could be too much for you. If you do go through with riding it home make sure to spend some time going up and down a quiet street practising your gear changes, stopping and clutch control (friction point) for take offs, will help you avoid any possibly dangerous stalls at traffic lights.

My first ride was straight out from a carport into the middle of the CBD, and I'm still standing, my gear changes were rough and I stalled a bit but I took my time and it worked out fine. With the L's on the back 'most' drivers will give you a bit of space, and not give you a hard time if your stuck for a few seconds at the lights trying to figure out what gear your in.

Its your choice in the end, if you have a trailer ready to go and its not too much of a problem, just trailer it mate, its not about having balls, its just a more sensible safer option.

Welcome to NR :)

3. +1 to that.

My first time on the bike after my Ls was very ordinary and I'm glad it was in a quiet back road and not in traffic.

4. I'd hate if we say "go for it" (ride it home) and you stacked it. So I'lll leave that up to you BUT my g/friend's son managed to get home in peak hour traffic via Parramatta/Woodville Rds & the Hume Hwy when we picked up his Ninja 250 from Bike Biz. I ride "shotgun" for him and he did stall the baby Ninja a few time much to the dismay of the cagers trying to get home from work. Was a wobbly, slow ride but all went well in the end :)

You need to gauge your confidence and ability for the journey home from your friend's place. How are the roads? What time do you intend to ride? These (and more) questions should lead you to an answer.

Alternately, besides trailering the bike home; another other option might be to get your friend to ride it home for you (assuming that he/she has a valid motorcycle license). That way you can select a time of your own choosing to go and explore the road, the bike and your abilities.

5. Yeh thats the problem its getting collected from the service shop on northshore, needs to come back to bondi, so its either habour bridge or habour tunnel, not keen on either!

Might see if they deliver bikes via a provider. Not keen at all on that ride. like a hangover to my exciting xmas eve feeling im currently packing.

6. Yeah man bridge or tunnel is a bit too much for a first ride... Find another option :)

A netrider (or 2) in Sydney might be able to pick it up for you?
    I would but I'm down in Melbs.

Also dealerships/mechanics etc know all the good bike couriers, have a chat to them.

7. Yeh thanks. I needed to hear it. i'll get it delivered.

8. Can you get your mate (the one that sold you the bike) to ride it home for you?

A slab or dinner in return could be a lot cheaper than a bike couriers.

9. He's off shore unfortunetely, already had to take a day off work and hire a ute to get it there. Hence the decision process

10. not sure how trusting you are - I might be willing to ride it home for you - have an ape myself and clear driving/riding history - I just had a quick look at the seat height though - at 918mm it might be a bit of a stretch for 175cm short arse like me.

11. My first ride was when I picked up the bike from the motor registry inspection depot, where I had to get the bike delivered from interstate. It was a 20 km ride home in peak hour afternoon traffic. In hindsight, it was crazy. Although nothing happened, I remember being just a bit scared when I was on some busy roads.

12. cheers for the offer. got recomended to use motomotion to deliver bike. $120 bucks. seems a bit steep. but didnt have much of a choice. I'm going to be away so itll be there like a nice surprise when i get home sunday arvo.

cant wait!

13. I think you made the right choice on getting it delivered. If you've been dwelling on it for a few days then you may not be completely confident riding it home - don't make the mistake of thinking you need to 'man up'.

I remember my first ride home from Peter Stevens in the city was horrendous, I hadn't thought about the fact I was a new rider and was about to deal with city/peak hour traffic. Needless to say there were quite a few moments of 'oh sh1t!' and I needed a new pair of underwear once I got home.

In the end you will learn that when riding you do not want to exceed your own limits especially as a new rider. Good judgement and experience comes from mistakes - but don't put yourself in a situation where the risks are too high.

Enjoy the new ride and stay safe!

14. My first ride was ~2hours from Woodend to Melbourne CBD on my (new for me) VTR as an L-plater. This ride included country twisties, 110km/h rural hi-way and eventually Melbourne CBD traffic over the Westgate bridge.

It was a baptism by fire but I made it and was grinning like a moron by the end of it :D

My best bud just decided to get his L's and bought a brand new Kawasaki ninja 250R - road it home during Melbourne peak hour on the M1......

The point is - you will ride these road eventually - yes it is daunting - but it is not out of the realm of possible.

Take it slow, get a mate to "Shepard" you home by following you in a car to protect and buffer and you'll do fine - congrats on the new toy BTW =D

15. well. went for a ride, did about 20km around eastern suburb, good fun. easy as to ride thats for sure. its like a BMX. looking forward to learning more about the bike and the roads.