Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike... Quick Throttle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by josh_182, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

going to check out an 06 GSXR 1000 tomorrow and hopefully make the purchase as it seems like a good buy, inspection going well. Question is this is my first 1000 and the buyer has informed me that the bike has a " quick throttle " hadn't heard much about this before so I googled it and it looks like I may be purchasing a bike that comes on full power with only a 1/4 or a 1/2 turn, now this worries me a little, as this is my first 1000, which is already going to be crazy enough.

Is this correct? If it is should I still purchase it if I am getting a bargain but reverse this mod if at all possible? I don't want to not make the purchase based on this, but obviously my life is more important than a good buy.

2. If it's a good buy, I'd grab it and change the quick throttle back to stock. Probably won't cost a lot to get a second hand throttle from the wreckers/ebay/gumtree. Quick throttle are usually only used on the track, so I'd have a look at the bike carefully to make sure it wasn't used on track, thrashed, crashed and then just fixed up to look pretty...but that's just me being overly cautious.
  3. Yeah I'm gonna see if he has the parts to convert it back to stock as I will never need that mod. Bike is K6 GSXR1000, yoshi slip on, oggies, 9000kms, matt black $8000.
  4. yeah quick throttle just means that the amount you have to turn the throttle to get to full throttle is less than standard.

did they come out in that colour in 2006 or are they replacement fairings.
  5. Stick with the quick throttle if it actually has a tube mod on the throttle clip on.
    Yes you have to get used to it
    Yes you have to be careful initially
    Yes it'll go like a jack rabbit without much input.

So what's the problem?

Seriously... You WILL get used to it and it will really make you smooth on your throttle control.
  6. I think the previous poster is right.

I don't beleive it came in those colours in the 1000 for a K6 model...

2007 had a gloss black but no red highlights as per the bike you linked. So its a copy of the standard paint scheme, but in different colours..(black/red, not black/grey

I'd be thoroughly checking it out as im 90% certain those are replacement fairings...

There might be a reason it's the cheapest.
  7. not much experience with sportsbikes, but a bunch of experienced bike riders told me that if a sportsbike is a really good price, with relatively low kms, then it may have been someones track bike. I believe it takes someone who is experienced with a particular bike type to "feel" out its history properly ie if it's been thrashed. Just sayin...
  8. I've just been to look at the bike, fairings are legit, it isn't completely black, it has some silver on side of tank and that fades as it goes through side fairings and it has this same pattern around headlight. mainly all black/silver/red highlights. I am worried about it being used as a race bike, didn't ask the guy but the quick throttle seems to me like it'd be something that you'd want at the track.

Also checked out a 2004 R1 with megacycle pipes and in the reddish/maroon colour, HOLY SHIT!! Sex on wheels and sounded awesome!!

Decisions, decisions :S
  9. I'd be wary of the Suzuki. I have a "quick throttle" on my 675. It IS good on track, but I ke it day to say round the burbs, also. So don't let that item alone sway your decision.
    The colour worries me. What you describe is not stock colours, I don't think(??).
    That's a worry...
  10. Thanks Raven, just worried about the ride home, I'll be 50Kms from home on a new bike with a quick throttle. I plan to remove it, but I have to make it home first.

Below is a pic of the colour, there are plenty on bike sales and bikepics. I thought it was matt black, but after seeing it today it isn't.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...2006&__No=30&__sid=12C7FA23AC00&Cr=7&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1626 1428 4294967268 1602 1554&PriceTo=1554&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany
  11. I've just done the same thing: bought a bike with QT, reverted to stock myself, takes about 5-10 mins as long as the prev owner hasn't switched the throttle cables for some longer ones. In that case you probably have to get OEM length cables and run them from the throttle bodies back to the grip. Bigger job.

The difference isn't as significant as I expected, and in a weird way, quicker to open the throttle also means quicker to close it which I hadn't thought of. Caught me out a little when I opened it up in 3rd and then had to make a more specific movement to back off.

I'm not sure what you're upgrading from but the K6 1000 is supposed to be a very challenging bike to tame, QT or not. I just the other day saw a thread of a guy with a lot of track day experience looking for ways to dampen power in the mid range as it's brutal power delivery was actually doing more harm than good.

Good luck, and do what I did: get a mate with lots of experience on a litre bike to ride it home for you.