Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike Question....AGAIN

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Robboo, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hey Everyone

I guess i should introduce myself 1st before begging for advise haha my names rob im from sydney (north shore) i recently passed my Ls (well i have the piece of paper the RTA will be coming soon)and joined netrider after reading random posts for quite a few months i have read most of the previous posts and stickys regarding purchasing your 1st bike but i have a specific question about purchasing a new GT250R in comparison to say a 2nd hand GPX , ZZR or VTR. I really like the look of the bike im aware of some of the quality issues but i have a korean car which is bulletproof so its a risk im willing to take and im single with no kids so cost isnt a major problem.The main question i have is that im average to slighty shorter than average in height wouldnt have a clue about actual measurements but how much harder do you think will the GT250R be to handle and learn to ride on than the other 250s ive mentioned im looking at buying prob from bikebiz in the next month or so any comments would be greatly appreciated sorry in advance for asking the never ending newb question also keen to talk to anyone near me even in the sydney metro area whos keen for some rides in the future when i have some idea what im doing lol - Cheers :grin:

2. I really like the look of the GT250R. And if I were to do it again... I would go for either a CBR250RR or a GT250R instead of my GPX250. Reason why is I feel more comfortable leaning on the bike rather than staying upright.

Meh not much contribution I know, but... that's my 2 cents.

3. how short are we talking? the gt250r is a twin so it has alot of useable power right across the rev range, its not a huge bike or a overly heavy bike i couldnt see why you would have any problems with it, have you conciders the 650r at all tho its not that much bigger and it will last you abit longer as it can be opened up once off restrictions

4. 2nd hand GPX. Cheaper, more reliable, better resale, better bike. The Hyosungs look nice from a distance but you're going to drop it anyway so get something you won't mind scratching.

5. Well I sure don't mind scratching my GPX... haha.

6. I would go a CBR250RR or a ZXR250 which I can find for about $3000 that will last for 1 year then upgrade.

Don't get caught up into buying something heaps good.

Loz mentioned resale, add to that there will be more demand for a GPX/ZZR and it will sell quicker then a Hyosung too.

7. I'd go the gpx. I've got a zzr (same thing just more plastic and larger wheels) and can back them up as quite bulletproof and hold their value very well.. zzrs more than gpx for some reason though.

I'm up in narrabeen with you hurrah! :tantrum:. If you have msn give me a buzz.

8. welcome, im on my 4th months of Ls ( i know im dont have the $270 for the R-date) I was looking at the GT650RL but ended up buy a cheap zzr250.
    the 250 is awesome, its got enough power to pull my arse up the hill in adelaide.
    Plus it has been dropped a couple of times (people at work knocking it over) its emotional :cry: :cry:

The 250r looks sexy agreed but with in 5months or so u are going to want something bigger.
    Get a cheaper bike just in case u do stack it, plus insurance is cheaper :grin: :grin:

my 2 cents
    thanks

9. hey robboo...

mate you can best answer this yourself. by sitting on the bikes in question.

to be most comfortable and be able to safely manouver hte bike at low speed (and if you read on here - most newbs drop their bikes at low speed manouvering or stationary) you really want, at the very least both balls of your feet on the ground - obviously more contact the better). not tippy toe and not one or the other. if you compromsie this on your first bike, you will never feel confident enough to be able to push your bike around and you then wont learn the skills to upgrade the bike later, or if it stalls, be able to get your feet down firmly enough to stay upright.

when sitting on the bikes of choice, try backing the bike up and then pushing it forward. important for manouvering in car parks etc. even more so if the ground is unstable like gravel and the like.

once you are on the bike though, your height will make no difference to handling... jsut gotta look at pedrosa (although he needs more balls in the braking department, but htats another story). all the bikes will handle and perform for what you are after. it will be more personal preference and likes.

dont let the hyosung thng bother you either. they have suzuki motor and box in em. those are indestructable really. i know my lady has the same gear in her cagiva 650. jsut that the cagiva has no short cuts on other bits.

but how tall are you? as if i remember when the lady was looking, the hyosung was pretty tall. 810mm i think.

if you like vee twins... certainly a top choice to learn on as they have a broad torque band, then the VTR is a choice bike to get. little 250 inline fours and two strokes require a lot more revs to get em going. but casue they do rev they give you a sense of speed as you here em wind out.

good luck with it mate.

10. with that attitude, maybe.

no offence Loz. many actually dont drop their bikes. i know it 8 1/2 years of all sorts of riding before i first dropped mine. and i know many friends that have learnt to ride and been riding for quite while who havent dropped their bikes yet. come close but managed not to.

with the right attitude approach and actually thinking about what you buy and then how you ride, you can avoid dropping the bike.

11. +1 twoguns for moving it around a bit in the shop - toss it from side to side (gradually building up to it) and checking that you will be able to rescue it if you stumble.

Wow - I've got to start hanging around with you! Or maybe the riding I leapt into was more testing than how you started? Not sure if a gentler environment would have helped :?

12. I like a fairing...so I would take the Hyosung over the VTR. The Hyosung is also quite comfy, and has a good strong engine. (Although it IS built to a price, otherwise)
    Looked after and not "thrashed" it would make a good learning tool.

As for the other bikes you mentioned...I like the CBR250RR's. ALOT of fun to ride, plenty low enough in the seat (??), and if you can get a good one, will handle veeeeery well.
    Apart from their lack of power (I'm used to an 1100 cc bike), they are a hell of ALOT of fun to ride, have shmik gearboxes and a good engine in them. GREAT in the twisties for later on, and you WILL learn alot from riding them. Throw on some good tyres, make sure the suspension is'nt shagged, and you will be able to expand your skill levels immensly.

They are also very lite, so while you may drop it, it won't cause the kind of damage usually associated with a heavier style of bike.
    Sit on one and try it for size... :))

13. i dont know pinkxie... have you done rider training, national parks, commuting, snowy mountains, weekend OMFG runs?? :p bells liner road is a good one to play on too.

actually my first knock off was from a car coming in the oposite direction and cutting a corner... left me no room. been off twice since then. once too hard into a blind corner. something you learn. and the other was gravel amongst road works which brought me unstuck.

but i have some mates that have not fallen off on the road... only on the track. been riding for 20+ years too.

14. Not in my 1st 2hrs of riding, which was when I first dropped it (placed it down)! I started in hilly suburbia with weirdly cambored driveways and ditches, etc. and busy commuting. That's all I did until my first real drop/smack into a truck. That also happened on my Ls, so didn't get time for any rider training other than the 2-day Learner course. One might argue that I had no balance or clue about how a bike is manouvered and controlled, followed by an unfounded and undeserving trust in other road users... Nah - I blame the people I've ridden with. If they didn't drop their bikes, I wouldn't have dropped mine! :LOL:

Don't worry, I think I'm starting to get it together. Far from invincible, but definitely more aware and more intune with my bike.

15. well thats good to hear. yeah i have seen it happen. my lady dropped her 250 while stationary. pulled out of hte driveway at hte gym. saw traffic coming so she stopped part on the driveway and part on the road but he gutter was dipped - she sadi she didnt realise until then - . so her reach to the ground was compromsied and over she went. dont know how many times i said pay attention to roads and cambers etc. dont be int he habit of jsut naturally putting your left foot down.
    now she is more understanding and going pretty good.

sounds like you will have fun and learn. never know we may catch up sometime somewhere. jsut listen for the rumble :cool:

16. Bells line, that would be quite a ride for you to "Go and have a play".

Would be a really nice ride if the road surface was a bit better, it's nice anyway! Oh and watch out for the drunk locals driving on the wrong side of the road.

I used to live on Bells line of road! Weekend Katoomba run was something I miss, oh and also the rock climbing so close to home :(