Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike Quesitons

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Disco_Dave, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I just picked up a bike today :) suzuki GS500F.

Anyways I was taking it for afew rides around the side streets today ( i dont think i am ready for the roads, the experience i got from the test is minimal and i am still abit nervous when cornering, this bike is ALOT heavier the the ones at the course).

The rear tyre on it is really new and i was starting to practice some E-braking when i noticed the rear tyre locking up. This happened afew time.
    I am pretty quick with the reflexes so it never got out of control (just eased off the brakes) but I wanted to know if this is normal for a new tyre, and if so then what is the best thing to do (as in just ride it really easy for afew hundred K's or can i play with the pressure?).

The other thing i have noticed is there are three rubber tubes that come down on the left side of the bike and end up just at the bottom of the engine and just under the bottom of the front side fairing. One of them has a little rubber "cap" on it the other two are simply open ended. I noticed some fluid dripping out of one of them (didnt seem constant) and suspect it may have been break fluid. Does anyone knows what these tubes are for? and should i be worried about the fluid? I will try and get a photo up.

Thanks and i hope to join all of you for a ride once i get my skills up to scratch.

2. i'm too drunk to answer this without offending you and having difficulty keeping a straight face.
    someone will help you, just keep re-visiting your post
  3. Rear tyre locking up is because you are braking with the rear too much.
    Focus more on the front brake.

A gs500 is not a heavy bike.

Those 3 tubes are drains from the airbox+fuel overflow.
  4. Seriously, do you have a permit to ride?
  5. Those will be breather hoses. The one with the cap will lead to the airbox (good idea to remove the cap every now and then to see if anything drains out). The fluid will be a combination of air, water (moisture), fuel and/or oil - and getting the occasional drip is perfectly normal.

Brake systems are always sealed since brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air - this is the reason why brake fluid needs to be changed every 1-2 years.

And as Red ZX said - you're locking of the rear is purely due to inexperience. Scuffing in the centre of a new tyre only takes a few kms (scuffing in the very edge of the tyre will likely take you a lot longer).
  6. Grats on the new bike!

Locking up the back wheel isn't uncommon - it happened to me a few times on my GS500 when doing hard braking. It's not the tyre, it's not the bike, it's just physics and a heavy foot. The more the weight transfers to the front wheel under braking, the smaller the contact patch becomes on the rear wheel... so the harder you're braking on the front, the easier it is to lock up the back.

The answer, somewhat unhelpfully, is use less rear brake. Keep practicing!
  7. That was extremely helpfull...
  8. thanks for the advice guys. thanks for sparing me from your drunken wrath mankeyman haha. I know i have a long way to go with building up my skills.

I am aware the bike isnt heavy in the scheme of things but to me its heavy given i learnt on some 100 kg 125cc bike in the learners course.

whataslowrider, i havent been on a bike in several months since doing my L's. I admit that I am inexperienced. you must be really pro going on a beginner rider forum and dissing somone thats just started learning.
  9. Nope sir, please don't take it the wrong way, I was just asking a general question, that's all. In fact I myself have been on a bike for only 2 weeks, much much more inexperienced, my apologies...
  10. Not sure whereabouts in Victoria you are, Ludey but if in Melbourne see if you can get to the Saturday morning prcatice and learn a bit about how to brake.

Meanwhile go easier on the back brake.