Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike From Honda NC700S

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by positron007, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Honda has inroduced a new naked bike into Australia called the NC700S.
    I wish they would reintroduce the Hornet CB600F. Anyway I have not ridden this bike yet, but I would be interested if anyone else has and could make a comment on it.

2. Is that the one with the new economical engine?
  3. Yeah. I think that is right.It is an inline twin.
    I have grown to love the inline 4 that honda usually make.
    A couple of things that I don't like is that it has a small tank at 14 litres and it weighs 211kg wet. I wish they could have kept the weight down similar to the hornet and added an 18L or 19L tank
  4. It's nice, but it's really just Honda's version of the ER6 and it's not a reasonable substitute for what Honda does best, which is across-the-frame fours.....
  5. #5 positron, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Yes I agree. I truly wish they would reintroduce the Hornet CB600F

Here is a video showing both the X and S version. Australia has the S version.
  6. sorry i disagree,
    what honda does best is v-fours,
    across the line fours are done well by almost every japanese manufacturer
  7. Here is another video

I also wish it had better forks
  8. I think they are claiming sub 4l/100km so it probably has a decent range still.

The weight is disapointing though.
  9. ??? Honda has, what, two V-fours and how many fours?????
  10. Any in showrooms yet?
  11. true..... but they have how many single cylinders??????

and its 5 v-fours in the current line-up,

and 4 inline fours,

... but it was more that its a bit more about the uniqeness that it gives honda... sort of a signiture engine like a ducatti L twin.
    shure there are many japanese manufacturers that use it... but honda is probably the most well known. especially in sport bikes

arguing with hornet..... i feel that must be getting either more opinionated, braver or just plane dumber
  12. and the hornet 250, that's another 4

singles are different because they're mainly dirt bikes which only come in one engine config for torque.
  13. i kinda disagree, yeah singles are usually associated with dirt bikes especially when called a thumper,
    but their commenly used in commuter bikes like the ct110, cbf250, cbr250, cbr 125, honda cub, hero hondas etc.... not to mention all the scooters. another group honda is famous for and i dare say, the majority of their bikes.....
    shame they havent made a good dirtbike since the xr's though:( (the crf's 230 and smaller are xr based)
  14. You are forgetting about CB1000R, and CB600F Hornet, as well as CB1300SF, and I am sure there are others. They are also inline fours. While they may not be still sold in Australia they are still produced and sold else where.

Could you elaborate further what you mean regarding your hornet comment.
  15. By the way spenaroo you got me interested to check out a vfr800.
    I wish they made a 600 though.
  16. Boring
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The only thing I do like about this bike is the look of it.
    I wish it was 20kg lighter with better forks and a bigger tank.
    And as other people have stated they should have stuck with an inline 4 or V4.
  18. What do you mean? The XR series is heavy and air cooled, the CR series was a lot lighter and quicker
    • Like Like x 1
  19. It looks like it could have come out of a max scooter. Honda have a few crossover engines now.
  20. It came from a car, actually, as it was developed from the engine used in Honda Jazz. It also comes from a maxi scooter, because it is also used in their Honda Integra (that's 2-wheeled Integra, not another car). The whole family of NC700S, NC700X and Integra uses the same engine, but also interestingly the same frame (interestingly, because Integra has outwardly a scooter body shape, while the other two look like standard motorcycles - but they are all exactly the same under the skin).

The engine is extremely fuel efficient and low revving, which also means it can be kept simple and should be cheaper to service.

They will all be eventually offered with dual-clutch transmission (currently only available on the Integra).

These are very much practical bikes. To many people on this forum they will be 'boring' since they are about as far away from crotch rockets as a motorcycle can get. That doesn't mean they have no place in the great scheme of things - quite the opposite in my opinion.