Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New bike, first ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by lsr, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Today, after doing the learners course and hunting around for bikes for the past month, I went out to Seymour and bought my first bike. It's a 1988 CBR250R with 23k on the clock.

I originally was going to hire a van and go out for a look, then a bike riding friend said he'd come out so I scrapped the van idea. This morning came and he pulled out, the gf got called in to work so I thought I'd take the train out.

Of course I get to the station at 9am, to catch the 9:30 train to arrive at 10:30 to meet the guy at 11, but trains are cancelled and have to run to a bus leaving in 2 minutes. 2 hours later on a bus taking every back road stopping at every train station picking up zero passengers, I make it to Seymour at 11:15.

Bike's in good condition, no leaks, no damage, no nothing. Been sitting for 6 months so it's fuel isn't the best. Nice honest bloke, passed RW fine, has rego, everything looks good. Test ride is great, everything is tight. I say yes.

Shake hands and I'm off to the newsagent for some L plates. Make a quick phone call to the insurer and I'm on the bike doing laps of the carpark getting a better feel for throttle/clutch/brakes.

Now, I know usually at this point newbies do laps of their block practising e braking and low speed turns, but I'm 100km from home, so I get a better feel for brakes on back streets, then hit the Hume.

110km/h and the bike is sitting on 9k rpm, I've got a grin on my face watching the sky hoping that I can miss the storm that looks to be brewing in the west. Took it very easy, didn't get fussed when people overtake, only overtook two caravans myself.

Halfway home, still telling myself to grip with my legs every minute or so, wind has picked up and I'm getting blown around quite a bit, the the heavens open up and I'm getting wet, although nowhere near as wet as I thought I would. I pull off and get a coffee at a diner near Craigieburn, wondering how my draggin jeans aren't soaked.

It stopped raining about 10 minutes later, back on the bike and I try to make it home before the storm sets in. Up until now I was on two lane each way freeways, now I'm amongst three and four lanes and keep thinking back to my instructor telling me to keep to the side lanes. Make it onto the Ring Road, then the Tullamarine, get on to citylink (it's still free for bikes right?) and am coming up to the Brunswick Rd turnoff where I'm going to get off when I lose power and as I pull the clutch in the bike goes dead and I coast to the breakdown lane.

Aargh! Try to restart, turns over but doesn't start. Look in the tank, can see fuel moving around, so switch it to reserve anyway and try to start again. No dice. Don't want to run down the battery keeping on trying to start it I jump a guard rail and have a think, just bought a dud bike, stranded on citylink, no roadside, I'm an idiot. Call RACV roadside, $300 to come get me, but then the chick on the other end of the line patches me through to Citylink recovery. That guy can't find me on his security cameras, so after 10 minutes sends out the recovery van. Van guy says he can load me up and take me to the next exit. Asks me what went wrong, I explain that it went dead and turns over. He asks me if there is fuel, I explain that I put it to reserve. He says show me, I blip the starter and IT ROARS INTO LIFE.

The ten minutes I had been sitting on the phone, the fuel had somehow ran through to the carbys and started up. I stand there looking embarrassed and apologise a heap, guy slaps me on the shoulder and tells me where the nearest servo is. Ride the 3km home without incident, stopping at my local servo.

Tomorrow I'll hit the vacant parking lots, but today was a heap of fun and I feel like a bit of a dick but I've learnt a lot.

Thanks for listening.

2. Good write up. Got me bike a month ago still havnt gone over 80k/h and only have 150 or so on the odo. Sounds like you did a good job. Awesome bit of luck to counter the not so much luck in the morning. Now post some pics!

3. Nice work mate, I also had to ride my bike home before I could really get used to it but I only had about 30ks of roads I was familiar with

The problem you had may be the old fuel in the bike, but it could also be a kinked or cracking fuel line, or a vapour lock.

To cure the fuel line, just let the bike sit for a bit and fuel will run back into them, and for a vapour lock just open your fuel cap.

You should also get a full service done on it if it been sitting for a while, and mention what happened to the mechanic

Ride safe!

4. Well done on the ride home.

You need to work out how far you get to reserve that way you are less likely to need to switch. On my bikes it depends on what I am doing as to how much notice I get. Usually get plenty of warning but occasionally I have just coasting or idling at lights and not noticed I am running out. Once I have actually run out, The carby bowls are drained and it takes a little time to restart.

Don't underestimate the value of riding around the blockand in parking lots. It will teach you skills you are going to need and do so without being in traffic. Well worth spending time doing.

Also good advice in getting the bike checked out.

Welcome to the fun wold of bikes. Stay safe.

5. Haha, great story man. Always fun working out the kinks in a new, old, bike! Enjoy it and ridesafe

6. :applause: well done !! Congrats :grin:

7. Glad you're enjoying it. How much fun are the first few rides!?!?

I've run out of fuel a few times too...butttttt the first time I didn't actually think/realise it was that because I must have bumped the trip meter and it was only showing 90 something kms and I always reset it when I fill up. So didn't bother flicking it to reserve (I had actually pulled over into a servo when the bike cut out). Man it was embarassing when we figured out what it was a few days later... :cool: but shhhh that story is just between you and me...

8. Good yarn :LOL:

9. good nice lil' adventure. I ran out of fuel in the first week of having my bike cause i didn't realise it was running to reserve the whole time...atleast i found out my tank kicks around 200k's. I'm yet to actually find out if my reserve switch works, cause i wasn't sure if it was on reserve or not when i ran out. hahaha. any tests ?

10. Epic first-ride experience. :)

11. There you go matey...you're on your way. :)
    Enjoy the adventure - that never stops.

12. Great read mate !!
    Congrats on your new bike, and the great start down the road to adventures untold.
    :)

13. I'll join everyone else and say thanks for the write-up! I really enjoyed reading it :)

If you want to go for a nice ride one day soon just drop me a PM and I'll meet you somewhere and we'll find some great roads to learn on. I'm sure there'd be a few other NR's who'd join us too.

All the best with your learning!