Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike, Engine issue, warranty excluding labour?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Archaeon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Hey Guys,

A mate (call him Ben) has a new CBR600, first owner, he noticed the engine was making a rattling noise.. He took it back to where he bought it and (after some preliminary checks) was told that the engine had to be taken apart to replace a part inside..

... well.. if the engine was under warranty, shouldn't he get a new engine?

Anyway.. the dude at the dealership told Ben that the engine was covered; however the labour wasn't, which means Ben is looking like he'll be out of pocket about $700!

... Is this even true?.. warranty excludes labour?

Ben had missed his 12k service; however did get it serviced @ 15K, a little late for whatever reason, but it still got serviced. Dealership goes on to state that because he missed the service, the labour is not covered.

... ok sounding a little sus now, and I suspect I know why.. Ben can't speak english all that well, and he had lost the receipt for the 15k service; however the logbook was stamped, but not from the dealership in question.

Need some expert intel on this matter...

a) If an engine of a new bike fails for whatever reason, would an entire entire replacement under warranty be in order?
    b) For work carried out under warranty, would this exclude labour by default?
    c) Missing a service by 3,000 kms on the dial isn't that hard to fathom, is this grounds to void any aspect of the warranty in any way?

Can anyone shed some light on this at all?

2. a) No, just a repair to 'good enough' standard. You don't automatically get a new engine.

b) Labour would typically be included in work performed under warranty, excluding consumables or wear and tear items replaced at the same time.

c) Yep, if they can sufficiently prove/indicate that not getting it serviced contributed to the fault. The arbiter in this case is the warranty provider (usually the manufacturer) who will usually side with the dealer. It's possible to appeal to other higher authorities.

• Like Like x 2
  3. what was the part that failed/had to be replaced?

4. Not sure, It was just a 10 min convo with Ben, asking me if he's being rorted...

5. If someone had come into the shop and asked me if an engine part was covered by warranty, under the same circumstance i would be inclined to deny the claim right from the start.
    IF the shop that did the service used genuine parts, I might have a rethink, It really does depend on what the problem is. If it could be linked to lack of maintenance or the wrong part's fitted, I wouldnt have been inclined to cover any of it. If it was unrelated to the service, I'd cover the lot including the labour.

• Like Like x 1
  6. a; only has to be repaired to oem specs.

b; if the bike is under warranty everything should be covered.

c; it's not up to the dealership to make the decision. if they are being difficult follow it up with the manufacturers customer care.

Sounds like the stealership doesn't want to do the work as the pay rate from the oem is crap and are probably trying to extort the difference.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ... conflicting info... I dunno whether i'm more confused, or confident enough to walk in with my mate with a suit, tie, dark shades, folder and briefcase and demand to speak with the manager with a firm tone and act all knowledgeable n shiet :rofl: !!

"Sir, I'm here to represent this gentleman in a potential warranty dispute... are you the manager of this fine establishment..? "

8. Go in with him and be nice, find out exactly what they think the problem is, and why its not all covered. Youre there helping your mate out, not to abuse them, they MAY be doing him a favour.
    The only time this happened to me, the customer wanted another (non-dealer) to do the work, we supplied the parts, he paid for the labour.

9. Cazzo and Wokwon have the answers, but a question: Is it still the factory warranty or and extended warranty? The later can exclude labour.

10. awww.. but I wanted to rock with some hired goons.. simpson style!

But you're right, i'm there to help, not shoot a Seinfeld episode.

and yup, Factory warranty. I am actually starting to suspect he's not telling me the full story, and just telling me what his version of events.. I'm gonna sus it out a little more.. LOL.. imagine after all this, he's already paid and got his bike back! Bwaahahahaha

11. I had one guy try and claim warranty for a gearbox on a sportster. He'd drained the oil and refilled the primary and engine. Problem was he didnt put any oil in the gearbox and cooked it.
    Then wanted us to fix it for free..

12. If the lack of service contributed to the fault or caused it, he's getting out of it lightly. If it had nothing to do with it, and it's all supposed to be warranty work, then he's getting screwed. Bear in mind that running seriously late for a service weighs heavily against him! The manufacturer sets maximum service intervals for very good reasons, and very few owners would do the oil analysis that's required to extend service intervals.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Warranty does NOT always cover labour....

Not sure about the CBR road bikes, would've thought it was 24months parts AND labour as most road bikes are BUT I know Yamaha, Honda etc DIRT bikes come with 3 months warranty for PARTS only...!! I'd be checking the fine print on the warranty clauses for that bike/model.....

Just one of the reasons I love my Husky...my 2004 TE250 came with 24months parts AND labour, 2012 TE310 comes with 12 months parts AND labour....most JAP dirt bikes are parts only for 3 months :(

Good luck to Ben, hope he gets a decent outcome!

• Like Like x 1
  14. The warranty clauses don't mean a thing if they contravene Australian consumer Law. If the three month parts only warranty for dirt bikes were to be taken to a consumer law tribunal, I suspect that the importer would receive a trouncing from them on that one. If it's a problem with design, materials or manufacturing, then the labour cost is also covered under warranty according to Australian law. The only way that they can get out of it is to prove negligence or misuse by someone other than themselves (the manufacturer/importer) and/or someone acting with their authority (dealership, service agents, transport/storage companies from the place of manufacture to the place of sale, etc).

If I had a bike covered by new vehicle warranty, and if I was told "you pay for the labour" for a genuine warranty issue I'd instantly say "are you asking me to take it to VCAT to get them to slap you for breaching Australian Consumer Rights Law with regard to Statutory Warranty?" However, I suspect that this doesn't really apply in the case at hand, where the owner didn't service the bike on time (but I could be wrong).

• Like Like x 1