Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike Discussion falco vs firestorm vs viffer

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ken, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Well after a new or newish bike am trying to decide between an aprilia falco a firestorm or a vfr. But would really like a kwaka but want a sport tourer.
    Any advice?
    Or veiw from people that have ridden these bikes

2. Re: New Bike Discussion

Check with your local Honda dealer.Heard that brand new VFR800's going for round $13000 ride away.I have a 06 model & absolutely love it. A great allround sport tourer.
  3. Re: New Bike Discussion

you like Kwakas? What about the W800 - I think I may get one when off restrictions.
  4. Re: New Bike Discussion

Owned the vfr and ridden the vtr. If you really can get the vfr at 13 I would get that.

You might also like the triumph sprint st.
  5. The Kawasaki Z1000sx is due out soon, it may be worth checking what the Australian release date is.
  6. I've heard good things about all of them, I suspect test rides are going to be your best bet for discerning which suits you best.

Triumph Sprint is another highly recommended one, that 1050 triple is just a beautiful engine.
  7. Tell us what you want to do with it. Touring, twisties, track days, two-up?
  8. I thought the Falco went out of production in 2005 or 2006.

My advice would be to ride them and then buy the one you like the most.
  9. Firestorm, small tank range really out me off, Falco, reputed to have vague steering on initial tip in, VFR, well, it's a bit boring.

Take a Falco for a ride, if the handling doesn't put you off, buy it! It's on my (very long) short list of bikes when it's time to replace the TRX.
  10. Later Vtr has a little bit bigger tank, but dated a bit now.

I still miss mine, if only honda would re vamp the big twin !
  11. Re: New Bike Discussion

Nooo, its a barge!8-[

Go the Viffer. You'll be glad you did

"That's all I have to say 'bout that"
  12. Re: New Bike Discussion

Google quotes the sprint as 210kg dry and the vfr at 214 dry so what makes it a barge?

I do like the vfr (owned a 1990 model) but some people think that it is a bit souless and I think the sprint is a valid alternative.
  13. Re: New Bike Discussion

it's physical size. Tiny is not what they are.
  14. Re: New Bike Discussion

I thought that they were quite similar.

Hmm Bikez says:

Sprint ST
    Seat height: 805 mm
    Overall length: 2,113 mm
    Wheelbase: 1,458 mm

Seat height: 805 mm
    Overall length: 2,120 mm
    Wheelbase: 1,460 mm

Maybe they are both barges, or maybe specs mean nothing.
  15. I'm guessing it's the pot calling the kettle black.
  16. falcos are bloody nice, i was considering one before I bought the FZ1
  17. I wasn't impressed with the vtr on my quick stint. Even the bigger tanked ones have a shorter range. I'd go the SV1000 before one of these, though the SV is more sporty. Might need some after market clip-ons to make it more touring.

The Falco is quite stiffly sprung and Aprillia are famous for having poor parts support.

later Sprints and VFRs are physically very similar. The Sprint is just a better bike. Even the VFR fraternity don't speak kindly about the 800. The early ones have noisy cam drives and the later ones have the vvt which nobody likes. Mind the big triumph engine sounds a bit like a tractor engine up to about 2500 anyway.
  18. Aprilias are lovely bikes, if you can stand the after market support for discontinued models. Or rather, the lack of.
  19. Dry weights are highly misleading. Independently ascertained wet weights for the VFR 800 seem to range from 230 to 240 kg wet, and for the Sprint ST from 240 to 250 kg wet. Compare these to supersports 600s around 190 kg wet and 1000s around 200 kg wet, and there's quite a difference.

Are the gear-driven cams on the pre-VTEC VFR 800 particularly noisy, or are you referring to gear-driven cams being noisy in general? I was under the impression that the induction, cam and exhaust noise was part of the charm of this bike!
  20. the early 800s received particular criticism.