Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike Choice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by arthur daley, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have done my P's and they run out in Nov. Being 42 I think I go straight to an unrestricted.

Anyway I havent ridden much but want to get a new bike, to use to ride to work which might mean Concord to Granville on the M4.

So I have sat on a lot of bikes in a few dealers and narrowed my list to

Hyosung gv250, its light feels stable and to me looks nice. I sat on both a Honda 400cc and Yamaha 650, both felt very heavy and looked a bit long.

The thing with the gv250 i need to know is:

a) will it do 90km on the M4 or will it struggle ?
    b) would it handle hills like going up the Gladesville bridge at say 70 ?

The dealers have generally said yes, 2 tried to push me to the gv650 but its just to big for me.

I know from reading here that Hyosungs are not super popular, but I can get a 2010 model with EFI new for a really tempting price and like I said it fit me and I like the look.

Any opinions from those what have ridden a gv250 ?

Cheers

Anyway it's only a 250

2. Take some test rides and buy the bike that feels right for you. :)

3. Thats kinda the problem as i got an auto license and whatever bike i get i will take to my sisters place outside Canberra to learn to ride it with the brother in law to teach me.

4. Go do the course on a manual!

5. test ride, test ride, test ride, ride as many bike as you can, your gut will tell you whats right. but i will say this the 250 will do legal speeds no problem but after some experience I think you will bore of the 250, I would tend to favor the 400-650cc, more a more spirited ride. most important as Kernel say do a course, on a manual. they are far and away the best thing any rider can do. talk to the dealer get them to throw one in on the deal.

6. I have looked at Stay Upright and might get a lesson or two. THe brother in law has benn riding for over 20 years so I'm hoping to get to learn from him on their property.

Re the 250, I am pretty sedate and really only want the bike as a commuter to work, not really interested in long rides to the country. Go to the shops, the city and work.

Sitting onthe Honda & Yamaha, they are way over 200kg and I thought I could easily drop it. Whereas the Hyosung didnt feel too weighty.Thats just me personally. As long as it will do that small section of the M4 I guess it might be OK.

7. Please, do a course, forget the brother in-law, he is probably an excellent rider but not a trainer, he'll fill you in on tips over the years that follow, but I'll bet he's forgot the basics, we all do as they become second nature, not something you think about

8. Buying a bike without knowing whether or not you like it is silly. ...Buying one without knowing even knowing how to ride it is a whole new level of silly.

I'm sure your brother in law is a good bloke and his property is lovely, however a qualified instructor on a purpose built motorcycle training facility is the best way for you to learn. Especially when you consider the consequences of crashing the training facilities insured bikes against crashing your own bike that you may want to insure or maybe even re-sell at some point.

"Learn how to ride - Test ride - Buy" is the best sequence of events. In the long run it's a lot cheaper than the "Buy - Crash - Don't like bike - Buy new bike" sequence.

9. I whole-heartedly agree with Seany's statements, no point in buying (essentially) blind in the hope you're going to like a bike. What criteria could you possibly base the purchase on in the first place... the salesman? Only you know what bike is going to feel right/suit you, not an Internet/magazine review or the opinion of a third party.

As for the size/weight of a bike... most only appear "heavy" when at rest. Once you start moving, the weight peals off (sounds like a 9.00am Kerry Anne advert for the latest diet). Balance of a bike is far more important that the dead weight - nearly every bike will feel "heavy" simply moving it around a showroom without the engine running.

BUT to answer your original questions, assuming you are using this bike simply for commuting to work... yes, a 250 will sit on 90kmh without any dramas. Yes, you'll be able to negotiate the Gladeville Bridge at 70kph (the bike has gears for a reason). Advantages include: cheaper insurance (except Greenslip of which 250cc falls into the same category as a bike of up to 729cc), cheaper consumables (tyres etc.) and better fuel economy than larger steeds.

PS. I'm 49 and got back into riding after a long siesta (20-odd years) and "thought" I'd be happy as Larry for years on a GS500F (was forced to go through LAMS as the RTA managed to "lose" the fact I was previously licensed). You know what? I was itching to upgrade within a month of taking ownership of her.

10. Arthur, could I make a dumb suggestion? You have 10k to do this, and a property. Go and buy something like this for $400 (not registered, obviously, but running.) Give yourself a few days of puttering around up and down the driveway and around the yard. Learn how to start and stop and change gears and turn gentle corners. There is a very big chance that you'll fall down a few times at this stage, but who cares? When you're ready to go a bit further and faster, wash the bike and sell it back to the shop. Trade it for something like this. This one should be registered and legal, but only just. Spend about $1,200 or so. Use this through the riding school phase and the first few weeks. Then take it back to the shop and trade up again to something like this.

Hang onto the GS for about 6 months and then go back to the shop (who should love you long - time by now) and ask to test ride everything they'll let you. What does a road-trail bike feel like? What does a small cruiser bike feel like? What does a real sports bike feel like? By now, you can begin to form opinions about what you like and what feels good and what you think you'd like to own in the longer term. At that point, you might like to start thinking about buying a new one.

11. kneedragon makes a very good point however I imagine arthur is just keen to get a bike and get moving.

TBH I was in this position although with a bit more experience from riding a scooter. Got a local instructor to hire a bike from bikescape on Parramatta road and after a couple of hours felt comfortable on a manual and able to then search for a bike.

If you are not going to follow kneedragon's advice I would do this at least (you can PM me for instructors details). As seany has said I would look at getting some professional training to start with and maybe just keep your brother in law as a riding buddy to help you get some more experience and confidence on the road.

Best of luck

12. Robbie and Kneedragon,

I like the advice, I had never thought about this, especially the cheapo $400 thing to learn on. Dont know if I can get something that cheap in a shop but I get what you guys are saying and it sound.

I have only ridden scooters since getting my L's then did my P's. But I havent ridden all that much. No probs, I really I the advice and think thats the way I'll go.

13. Just a bit off the original topic. THe decision then becomes buying privately or from a dealer.

Example, I saw a nice gv250 at a dealer, its a 2008 model and he wants high 4's for the bike. The bike has 3 months warranty.

I figure he traded it for maybe 3 and puts 1500 or so on top. Maybe less but still a nice little drink. Get an extended warranty for 12 months costs about$500 but they are really dodggy about what it covers and its done by some 3rd party crowd.

Regardless, privately of a dealer, I'm a mechanical dunce. Who knows if the thing has major issues of been in some bad accident ? Thats kinda why I figure buying from the dealer might be a bit safer:?

Anybody had any experience of extended warranty in bikes ?

14. I am pretty sure there are people or businesses that go and do an inspection on the bike you want to buy. Cant remember where I saw it but its expensive, I think $200 or more.

But it might be worth it if it stops you buying a lemon.

15. I would'nt willingly buy any 250.
    You are'nt allowing youself to have anything up your sleeve, if you need to accelerate quickly, or sit on 100 k's IN COMFORT. (bike not revvy and full of vibrations)

You're turning bikes down because they feel heavier, when the very thing that makes them heavier is what makes them easier to cruise freeways on, and have a bit of power up your sleeve.!!
    That's unwise thinking IMHO!

16. That might be OK if I wanted to do highways, thing is I only want it to go into thecity, work that stuff. Maybe round trips of 20k's in the suburbs.

17. Ok. Then you are better off on something with more power, no matter where you ride. The 250's quickly turn out to be underpowered.
    Nevertheless, you have to buy what you'll have to ride for the next few years.
    I'd go with the bigger brother of the one you like.

Maybe even a scooter might be more suitable for suburban workloads.

18. I did think of this but they get a bit pricey. I am kinda of thinking about new rather than 2nd hand.

At least I can get a new 250 probably. I'm a bit worried about buying second hand, being a mechanical dunce and them only giving a 3 month warranty, because I could end up buying trouble.....had that experience with a 2nd hand car, no end of grief.