Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New bike after MOST?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by slygrog, Jul 24, 2012.

1. So I did the MOST yesterday and passed on my GS500. The tester said the bike's geometry was all wrong for me and I should get risers at the very least. It reminded me that I had always intended to buy a different bike after getting my Ps (i bought the GS because it was sensible to learn on and pass the test with, but I HAVE become rather attached since), so I have been thinking about it all night!

Anyway, my insurance/rego is up in September so I have a while to figure out what I wanna do, but I thought I would start asking questions early.

My questions are: Do you know any bikes that have a shorter distance between the seat and the handlebars? Or whatever makes them good for shorter arms?

If I have any inkling I want to sell my bike, should I do it ASAP? I am wondering when km stop mattering to people - my bike is at 40000km now, would it make a huge difference if I held onto it and it hit 43k or something?

Cruisers: awesome or bollocks? :D

2. #2 87crisis, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    i'm currently battling with myself in regards to the idea of getting a cruiser as i'll more than likely be heading out rural in the future....it's tempting, truely is...but the weight and time it takes them to get to speed compared to sports bikes...the lack of clearance and shit turning circle on some cruisers...i dunno...it's probably not an extremely educated guess but as painful as it will be being nowhere near twisties i still dont know if i could step away from sports bikes....in the same token...the idea of being insanely annoying to other road users is tempting...
    and i know when drunk i couldn't help but do this if i owned a cruiser
    [media=youtube]zwH85gFOVVQ[/media]

apologies if that was more of a whinge about my predicament

have you looked into the idea of getting more of a sports focused bike? where the natural position for riding it is leaning inwards?

also i've seen it posted countless times on here - try out this site,
    http://cycle-ergo.com/

3. One thing I've never understood about the Australian motorcycling scene is how unwilling most riders seem to be to alter their bikes to better fit themselves. In many other countries fitting risers, different bars, footpegs and seats are regarded as an integral part of setting up a bike.

FWIW my last 3 bikes have had different seats, different pegs, different bars and custom suspension in order to customize the fit and ride characteristics.

You may have to source some parts overseas as a lot of Australian shops don't carry the needed gear.

4. i completely agree with you there, i'm guilty of it to some extent but when playing with the smaller lams bikes it seems abit over the top going to all the effort needed especially if it's just a minor inconvenience that you've since grown used to (although me saying that does bring to mind the other thread posted by UDLOSE i do believe about how he had taught himself bad habits whilst having different tyre's on his bike that he had to un-learn once the problem was fixed.)

also...slygrog, i completely took it as gospel initially but...yes the tester said it was all wrong for you and should be modified, but do you yourself honestly believe that too ? or has it never really crossed your mind? can you ride it comfortably? i'm honestly just curious if you've finally had acknowledgement of something you've had in the back of your mind for awhile in regards to the bike being right for you or your just to some extent using the timing and the instructors advice as an excuse for a new bike?

edit no.5 - the other option of course is you basically just didnt realise it was wrong for you until someone mentioned it

5. i have always mod my bikes to what feels good for me .i have also mod my sons bike to what he feels good with.,break set up ,handle bars, rear shocks, ect,ect. its not hard to do these things ,

6. I think the problem is most learners think bikes are already set up well so you need to get used to them, rather then changing the bike to suit you, most bike shops will also only push easy high margin merchandise and accessories not new, seat foot pegs etc.

i often wonder how people ride those choopers where the handle bars are way above head level....i guess you get used to it, and thats what most noobs>learners do. that being said, seat height is a very important item, as it changes distance to ground, pegs, shoulder throotle angle etc, but i dont think people realise it can be adjusted, it may cost a few hundred for suspension to be adjusted but it can make a bigger difference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. i am not against mods. i will give risers a go on my GS if i choose to keep it. the conversation with the instructor just reminded me that i had only ever bought the bike to pass the MOST on. i've always fancied riding something less practical (a cruiser, or an old school standard like my first bike or whatever) long term.

maybe risers are the answer, and keeping the bike is ideal. the reasons i bought the gs were that it wouldn't explode into flame like my gpz550 did, it weighed nothing in comparison to the gpz and i could touch the ground while sitting on it, but i never saw a GS with fairings and went goddam i need that.

there are a bunch of bikes i HAVE thought that about, and given that i have to do the two year license restriction thing i figure i should at least consider riding something awesome. if i'm going to sell the GS i should do it while it has it's various 'pros' - new tyres, rego etc.

if i were to buy another bike i'd want to be aware of any problems i became accustomed to on the GS, like my arms being too stretched out. that's really all that prompts me to ask the question.

(in answer to your question, 87crisis, i have felt overstretched on occasion in the past but basically dealt with it by shifting my torso forward, which solves the problem and allows me to bend my elbows when my arms get tired and i start hanging off the throttle :D)

basically after posting this question i discovered the existence of the honda gb500 and i am in the lustiest of lusts.

8. if your looking at risers look at the dog leg ones , also you may have to change your cables and front break line,,,,,,,they may not be long enough ,,, look in to this before you buy a set of risers or handle bars .,,,

9. thanks for the tip, tiprat. SEE WHAT I DID THERE.

(but thank you really)

10. OK so if you're prepared to set up the GS to suit you, the question becomes: do you want something "more"?
    I understand they're perfectly capable bikes and great to learn on, but can you see yourself wanting a bit more "performance" (ahem...) from your ride?
    Conversely, would you like to lean back and just cruise along with little effort?

11. Do you enjoy riding the GS500?

If the answer is yes, then don't sell it, yet.

If the answer is no, then start looking for a 'new' bike now.

As for modifying bikes, well that's up to you. Remember that chances are you'll never get the money back, so if you are considering selling your GS, I wouldn't spend too much on it. If on the other hand you're keen on keeping it, then fill your boots.

At the end of the day it's your choice.

12. Excuse my ignorance, but how do you tell if the bike's geometry is wrong for you? is there like a golden ratio thing for bikes?

I'm looking at http://cycle-ergo.com/, is there an 'ideal' angle etc?

13. Ideal? No... but one should be able to flat foot the bike and sitting in the middle of the passenger seat.

14. yeah i was just thinking about the op's post about why the instructor would think so. I just feel 'comfy' when i'm sitting on some but not others so guessing maybe there's a figure we can look at 'ergonomically' :)

15. Bullshit.....

Edit: My wife has owned 4 bikes (and ridden countless others) and with the exception of her CD250U, she hasn't been able to 'flat foot' any them.

16. Cruisers: awesome or bollocks?

AWESOME

(crisis) the weight and time it takes them to get to speed compared to sports bikes.
    doesn't your profile say 250cc? ....... thats a harley starter motor

17. ergos...

what ever is comfortable to the rider and they feel confident on....also if you get sore after 1-2 hours something isnt the best,

I get a sore back after being a super sport for a few hours, this compared to a naked/cruiser which is more comfortable in the long run.

but of course we know super sports are gearing for more agressive focused riding, that being siad the more you ride the more you get used to the positioning.

the only thing someone could say about ergos immediately is if a arnie size bloke would get on a ct110 postie... you would aim to put him on a bigger bike like a 650L ninja.

if your comfy and like your bike...thats enough!

18. Buying a bike based on it being easy to pass a test on ...

Then immediately switching to the type you want, but cannot ride well?

Recipe for disaster.

You need to be able to do all the skills in the test on any bike you own.

Search youtube for US and japanese cops doing handling skills or japanese gymkana competitions. You will quickly see any bike is capable of the requirements of the test, and more.

19. In answer to the OP's question.. shorter distance from seat to bars.. i tried on the GS500F when i was looking for my first bike.. and i was really close to buying it.. then some people sat me on the Kawasaki Ninja 650RL. the change was instantly noticeable to even a newbie like myself.. and i found it instantly more comfortable.. Sure there are still adjustments to be made.. and im working on those small change by small change (as opposed to change everything at once and not know what worked)

Try the Ninja 650R or RL depending on your restrictions. even if you dont like the bike.. its a similar but different shape to try on to think about.

20. Oh, totally. I am all about nerding it up and nailing the skills, but the first bike I bought flaunted EVERYONE's advice. It was too heavy, too tall, too unreliable and everything was hard to do on it - especially for a 60kg girl (Sorry to my feminist sisters but I often wished there was a I was also learning to ride by myself in a new city I didn't know my way around and had never driven in. So when it exploded underneath me, I opted to go the other way and buy the recommended modern, light, easy for the MOST option.

I *loved* my first bike. I would stare at it and get excited that I owned it because I had wanted that exact bike since I was a tiny person. It was the cherry on top of an already brilliant experience. With my GS, I recognised its utility and have fun riding it but like I said, I never *wanted* a faired sports tourer. I've always tended towards what my supersport-loving dad calls the 'ugly ones'. Ha.

Anyway, word. Skills are king.