Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Bike Advice...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by PeteH80, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hi All

Need a bit of advice.

I have just lost my job as a sales rep (i was made redundant), so this means i have no vehicle as i had a company car which i had to hand back.

I am thinking about picking up a reasonably priced bike to get me around for the time being. I have around $4000 to spend and was thinking about just grabbing a GS500 as they are within my price range, cheap to run and should be cheap to insure.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am on my full license so it doesn't need to be lams, the only reason i was looking at the GS500 is for the reasons about.

2. Most lams are overpriced.

I would look for a second hand non lams sv650, they are bulletproof and will be less kms and better looked after than a lams bike that has gone through clueless learners.

Maybe a cb600 hornet too.

I guess the good thing about the gs would be that it would be easy to sell when you get on your feet.
  3. Thanks for the reply.

After having a look, i dont think i could get either of those for around the $4k mark, unless someone posts one up for a quick sale.
  4. Really?

You want to stick to gumtree mostly, bikesales is for dearer bikes.
  5. Tried Gumtree?

Edit: See above.
  6. Didnt think of gumtree, i have only been looking at bike sales.

Thanks for the links
  7. Try to get something with luggage if you are going bike only ... makes the shopping easier. How about a wee strom?
  8. Get a car. Costs more on petrol but everything else is a darn site cheaper.

9. Get out.
  10. Ended up going with the GS500.

I had a look at some other plus insuing them etc, and it was going to cost way too much, especially since i am not working at the moment.

I found a great 2006 GS500 with low kilometres and aftermarket pipe for a good price. should be grabbing it tomorrow.
  11. blasphemy