Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Battery Advice Please

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mel:), Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hi I have a Suzuki Intruder 250 which I probably don't ride as much as I should and as a result my battery keeps dying. I'm pretty sure it's the original one, my bike is a 2005 model. The battery in it is a YTX7L-BS. To get my bike started I have to clutch start. My dad has tried charging it and it would start normally after but won't hold the charge (he doesn't want to leave it on the charger too long because it is one of those sealed, no maintenance batteries that says not to open it and is worried about it getting too hot/ getting damaged etc.) So therefore I am looking at getting a new battery.
    I have read that the Yuasa brand is pretty good and the prices of them from what I have seen are all over $100. I had a look on ebay and there are two different brands that are both under $100. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOTORCYCLE-A...orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efbbea95c and http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BIKE-BATTERY...orcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca584ea44
    I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these brands or can give me some advice as to a decent priced online store which stocks the type of battery I need. Also I am in the Newcastle area so if anyone knows a decent shop I could go to that would be helpful! Any other tips or advice from people who know what they are talking about would be greatly appreciated also.
    Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section or if there is a similar post about batteries already! If there are any links anyone could give me that are related would be great!
    Thanks, Mel.

2. Okey dokey. Once your battery gets below a certain charge, it is dead & needs replacing. As you have found out.

Either of those batteries will be fine, but you can get one that will do the job from Supercheap for a bit less, maybe the same price. You could go to a bike shop, too, but you'll probably pay a bit more.

Once you get the battery in, take the bike for a good ride, then buy a trickle charger. If you don't plan on riding the bike that much, this will keep the battery in good shape in between rides.

Hope that helps!
  3. Hey thanks for your advice. I will go to supercheap and check out what they have. Just clarifying, you're opinion is that these cheaper batteries will work and last as long as the more expensive brands? Cheers :)
  4. In my experience, yes. You need to keep them charged though, & all batteries have a finite lifespan.