Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New and a crash

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by John P, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Hello all,

I recently obtained my license and my first bike. The last few weeks I have been meaning to sign up here and head out for the tuesday L ride. Unfortunately I have been too busy of late. And now I regret that.

This afternoon I managed to down the thing. I'm trying to work out in my head exactly what I did wrong. Any insights would be appreciated.

I was heading down the freeway at about 6. Semi heavy traffic and speeds of around 60. I merged into the left lane before my exit. Ample room in front of me, a bus and a half length kind of thing. A big white van was in front of me. Nothing close behind. I had jumped off the throttle and was letting it slow down. As it was the off ramp I had a look at the car next to me and the few in front to look for any wanting to come over.

Unfortunately the big white van obscured my vision before I did the head check and I didn't notice the traffic in front stop and when I looked forward I saw brake lights. This is the embarrassing part. There was plenty of room. I had so much time to react. I guess I reacted wrong. I was in the right hand side of my lane. There was a lot of space to the van's right. What I thought in my head was, slow down, move to the very right of my lane if I can't stop go between the traffic on the right. What happened was me sliding down the road.

What I am unclear on was did I hit the front brake too hard, or, did I hit the front brake while slightly turning. I believe what was in my head was the correct course of action but it seems my skill is not at a level to achieve that.

As a note the bike is a bit stuffed. I have not had a good look at it. I am sore. I guess the bike landed on my calf as it is well tense and making it difficult to walk. Ankles sore. Lost skin on knees and elbow. Kevlar pants are torn where I have lost skin. Textile jacket I'm not happy with. The part of the pad where my elbow hit has either disintegrated or just broke. It is probably just a fitting issue as the tear in the jacket shows that my elbow was at the very edge of the pad. It was done up tight. Either way i'm getting a leather jacket!!!

All in all I think I was too confident. I can read traffic well but my bike skills lack. I will be heading to learner days when the bike is back on the road.

Not sure why i'm posting this but it's one way to say hi and part of my post crash debrief. As I typed any insights or advise is always appreciated.

2. Hi John, deep breath :) See a doctor to get checked out, some injuries may take a while to show.

Probably overbraking on the front wheel. It is hard to fight the SR's (Sh** reflexes) When you are back on the bike spend some time doing some emergency braking practice.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Shit happens.

First don't be embarrassed. We all fcuk up. And we all fcuked up a lot when we were new. Look through the near mess threads and you will find a heap of stories almost the same as yours.

Your analysis of what happened is good. Nothing really to add. You sound very switched on.

Welcome to netrider.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll work on the emergency braking. Doctor will come in time. Still on a bit of an adrenaline come down at the moment. Everything is beginning to hurt that little bit more. I'll head to the doc tomorrow. Already called insurance so if anything serious hopefully they can help out.

Not sure about switched on. And yeah hella embarrassed. If it wasn't purely my fault it would be a little easier. I think I was getting a bit too confident. Not in this situation but general estimation of my ability. Almost feeling as though I could be that guy that never goes down. A good lesson though and thankfully nothing too serious.

One further question. I did not bounce my head and I can't see any damage on the helmet apart from two tiny surface scratches. Is it wise to replace it?

Cheers for the welcome and responses
  5. No marks on the helmet, it hasn't hit, so I would say its fine.
  6. Well that's one good thing :)
  7. You didn't mention what bike you were riding, but may I suggest one with ABS for your next one, as it sounds like yours didn't have it.

It will give you the confidence to brake hard if you ever have to do an emergency stop again. A bit of extra safety margin if you will.

Hope your wounds heal quickly!
  8. Let's not make this about ABS.

Crashes and inattention are mutual friends.

Good luck with the recovery.

Don't worry about the bike. As cjvfr said, get the Quack to look you over.

As an aside. Do you, or have you ridden much if anything else? Pushbikes, skateboards, blades? Any other form of exposed transport?

If not. Spend a week or many on a pushy in traffic before you get back in the saddle.

Most on NertRider think I'm nutts. They're probably right.

But hey. Spacial awareness and all the stuff.

9. The bike is a 2014 hyosung gt250r. Got it purely on the price and my complete lack of mechanical knowledge. Didn't want to get a dud second hand bike. Every car I have bought has been a lemon. Well the four of them.

ABS is great but i'd rather have the skill without it. Of course I may not be in pain if I had it.

As for experience nothing motorised but I used to cycle up in sydney in and through traffic many years ago. Never had any issues. Of course my 2cent legs could never get any speed. I also drive heavy vehicles in and around the city and have spent many many hours in traffic so I feel comfortable and confident reading it. It's just the skill on the bike I feel.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ABS is more often than not a detriment in my experience, yet I still run it. Emergency braking is not something that comes naturally, as on a pushbike if you slam the front on, you're going straight over the bars, yet if you slam the fronts on on a motorbike, you're likely to just lock the front wheel and have it slide out from under you.

Practicing emergency braking is an absolute must. I have attended many a week at the south melbourne saturday morning courses, and this is the sort of environment where you can practice just that and get immediate feedback from many other riders. Realise that tyres squash, and when they do, they give you much more stopping power. If, however, you slam on the front brakes and don't give the bike time to transfer the weight to the front tyre, it's simply going to lock the wheel and you're going to be on your arse. This is why we start on small bikes though. I had my one off on my learner GS500, and learnt a tremendous amount from it. At the end of the day, recover, don't let it scare you, and then practice what you should have done instead.

Best of luck!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Earlier in the day I was learning a skill on the slackline. I learnt the safe out first. Then proceeded to the technique itself. Unfortunately the natural reaction to it going wrong is unsafe and quite painful. I realised that the safe out had not yet made it to the 'natural' reaction stage.

The accident is just a much more dangerous extension of that. Kawa G I will be practicing. And practicing a lot. I hurt now but I was lucky. I don't think i'm scared as such but definitely have new respect and will be a bit tentative for awhile.

I did land on the back of my head and shoulders from the slackline. It may have had something to do with it. Probably not though.
  12. Bike control will come with time and practice.

If you read up on the 100% rule! it will make sense.

At the moment, you still have to consciously control the bike, so you can't have 100% control the bike and have 100% awareness of your surroundings. As you clock up more riding time, bike control will be fairly automatic, so you can spend more time focusing on your environment, meaning you will rarely have an "oh shit" moment that you didn't see coming.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hyosung and dud go hand in hand
  14. Thank you for that insightful contribution smee.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. It's amazingly quick when it happens. On the positive side, you've got the first off done and out of the way now, so smooth sailing from here on.

Sorry John, but I have to agree with Smee, I had a little smirk at the 'I didn't want a dud, so got a Hyosung' comment. No offence meant, do a search, you'll see what we mean.

By the way, welcome to NR.
  16. I'm hoping it's smooth sailing from here on. I want to get back on soon before it plagues me too much.
    Very quick. I remember seeing the van brake lights, brief idea of what i'm going to do, then tarmac. Not really sure what happened in between. I got mad at myself while sliding. Even tried to get up before I had stopped.

I get the 'humour' of hyosung bashing. I did my research. The earlier models had issues. If you have a look I said 'dud second hand bike'. What I failed to mention was the two year unlimited k warranty. It doesn't cover everything but if I got a dud I may have some back up. To me that's better than buying an unknown bike for the same price. But i'm not here for a manufacturer debate. I really don't care as long as the individual bike ticks the boxes at the time. For me it did. Apologies if my reply seemed a bit short. I may have had a few ciders for pain killers. They work quite well.
  17. Sounds like you tried to steer whilst braking hard. If you're using all of your available grip in braking and then add steering input, you will overwhelm the front tyre and most likely have a front end crash
  18. #18 John P, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    So under hard braking could any movement throw the bike down?
  19. Yes but work on the braking not the not moving. Poor braking can take a dead straight bike down. Good braking is hardly less efficient but can withstand a fair bit.
  20. Sound pretty switched on mate, hope your alright.

It takes a lot of miles and a lot of time, to learn that when an emergency situation presents itself, not to panic and grab a whole heap of brake and pray youl pull up and stay up for that matter.

To me thats what it sounds like, quick grab of the front brake and wheels just slid out.

Still to this day when an emergency situation arises that you have no outside control of, and you have to stop, think, act and try to keep your emotions and panic in check to roll the brake on quickly but smoothly to stay upright and just pray that you have enough time - It's still tempting to just react and grab.

Your emergency braking lessons will help no end to this, but keeping your emotions and panic in check is nothing but experience.

Just be grateful you weren't doing 120kmh at the time :)

and take solace in the fact that we have all done it in one way or another at some point on two wheels.