Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

new air filters covered in goo

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, Jul 24, 2012.

1. G'day all.

Some "brand new" air filters for my bike arrived today in the post from eBay. Now, I've not bought this kind of filter before (always had box filters) but the thing is smeared all along the sides in some sort of cruddy greasy stuff. And that stuff is all in the bags and sprinkled on the filters. Before I go and demand a refund, is this some sort of standard goo that get placed on such filters? It's pretty filthy and I'm concerned instead that I've been sold used filters, but reason tells me I've got it wrong, while my gut instinct is not to chuck such filth in my bike.

2. Looks sus if it's coming off inside the bag!
  3. I think I've worked out what it is - foam that has melted (what's the word for this?)

4. refund
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Maybe they were new 10 years ago and have sat in the bag all that time and the foam has broken down into the sticky goo. I think returning them for a full refund would be in order. They look unusable in that state.
  6. The word is NOS. Stands for New Old Stock.

Refund would also be applicable ):
  7. Refunded!

Thanks all.