Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New 2017 VStrom

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' at netrider.net.au started by 69SIM, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1.  Top
    • Like Like x 3
  2. The gold-rim, wire-spoke wheels look great. I like the overall appearance of this model over previous ones but I'm not sure if it is hugely different? I like that it has an extended front fender. The Arrow exhaust you had on your V-Strom would be the first modification I'd make to it.

3. Yeah the overall slight redesign makes it look a bit more angular and aggressive but not too much difference. The colour scheme is a winner for me, I would have gotten that had it been available when I bought mine. Agreed about the exhaust, I don't like their big hoover sized stock exhaust.

4. Looks great, I think.

And, is that cruise control added to the right switch gear I spy? Hope so, I think more bikes should come standard with it now considering the move to ride by wire throttles.

5. Unless they've improved the rider/pillion seating over the previous model then it's still a no from me.

6. Well now, Bosch are getting this ABS advanced tech further afield. They will have also programmed in the "loose traction"/"bumpy road" surveillance into the ABS. The old Vstrom's used to go sailing down bumpy hills under full brake and ABS, resulting in riders wiring in cut out switches. If what I'm told is correct, the ABS watches the wheel speed profile and if it fits the bill of a bumpy road, the ABS activates slightly differently allowing more lock.

Linked one way only? That is interesting.

7. Yeah, looks good :)

DL1000AL8_YU1_Right_1475583978.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8.  Top
  9. It does look better than the previous versions for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Non-adjustable front suspension on the 650.
    My '07 model has it.
    Is that going backwards, or are the OEM forks that much better?

Some obvious signs of cost cutting.
    Hate the exhaust, but at least it's a lower C.o.G
    The integrated luggage mounts are a nice touch.

11. I wonder about that. I hated my Blackbird's and CBR1000F's DCBS setup. Tapping the rear brake causing the front end to dive on you isn't my idea of co-ordinated braking. But operating the front brake with the rear modulating to stop it skipping or stepping out, now that's how it should've been from the start.

I'm looking at a 2014 model, used. I'd like to wait for this new model but if I don't get a bike now it'll never happen.

12. Hi Mick. What's wrong with the seating on it? I take it that you're refering to the current DL1000A model?

13. Nothing that an Akropovic can't fix...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yep. 2 up it's shit, not enough room.

15. I'm not keen on the yellow, but them I'm not a show off...

The exhaust does look big.

I am still in two minds about the wire wheels. I know it's what the real adv guys want, but they also want tubes and these are tubeless alloys. I know you can add tubes, but it is steel rims they want from what I read.

I guess I should keep an eye out, because my 650 will be clapped out in about 20 years time, and I will be looking at a replacement eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  16. never really liked the nose on that bike...

17. The lack of seat space is why I sold on my last Strom. I'm not about to go back to the same problem. That muffler is plain ugly though.

18. Ok, fair enough. I looked at one a while back. The seat appeared to be about the same size as my Blackbird which was parked next to it. In any case, I don't take pillions as a rule. So that wouldn't be an issue for me.

19. I find that interesting. I bought the first gen 2011 as I found the 2012 onwards to be a bit tighter on room. I thought it was just perception, but my wife said the same thing. We are both tall, I'm 186cm and she's 177cm. Was yours 2012+?

We haven't found any issues with room for 450 kms a day two up. Just the usual sore arse from sitting too long.

20. I must admit when I was pillioning SibiSibi on the strom the seating wasn't the most comfortable.