Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

never think you're safe.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by murchy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. It's been said before and it'll be said again - never assume you're safe.

This is the footage of my recent crash, which happened on my commute home from work, literally within 20 meters from my front door.
    I kid you not, after crashing and sitting myself down on the side of the road, I called my housemate and said 'hey man, i crashed. walk out the front door and turn left'.

I won't spoil the surprise by talking about what happened before you've had a chance to watch it - see if you can spot the culprit before I go down.

n.b. Apologies for the poor lighting, it was the first run with the GoPro and the dash LEDs messed with the auto-adjust lighting I think - had to play with settings a bit in editing.
  2. A dog?

Hope you're OK.
  3. Was that some puppy dog of some description?
  4. A kitten?
  5. woah, very very unfortunate, im in a very dark room now and its very quiet and that made me jump! how bruised are you after that?
  6. killing kittens under 40km/h? thats impressive.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Looked like Chuck Norris man.
  8. I reckon it's one of them there aliens that the TAC were trying to warn us about.

Happened bloody quickly...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Officer it was him! He's the kitten killing biker!
  10. Everyone knows you need see Chuck Norris when he attacks you
  11. If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
  12. [​IMG]

is it a cat?

and no shit it happened quickly i had to replay the last few seconds about 5 times before i could get a shot of it.. and even then it isn't really clear.
  13. Almost looks like a wombat in that pic...
  14. very well seasoned street rider obviously.
    so can happen to anyone.
    Melbourne at night currently is pretty challenging on the bike. would not have seen that comming. can't see anything down there on the road.

hope you're doing ok Murchy
  15. Bugger about the spill mate.

Where do you think the dog/cat came from? Where was it after? I didn't hear any yelps or cat screams at the critical moment... presumably fatal then?
  16. It looks like Odie. Lucky it wasn't Garfield.

Hope you are okay
  17. Wow!! That happend In a split second! Just curiously seen as im a new rider... Do these kind of spills happen often due to critters jumping out in front of you??.

Hope the OP is ok :)
  18. Was that a smurf ?

Hope you are ok Murchy.
  19. That sucks man. Glad you can look back and laugh.
  20. Thanks for the kind words all.

To answer everyone's question, it was a small dog, which ended up UNDER the bike. I honestly thought it was DOA, but last I heard it lived and will recover.

I honestly still don't really know for sure, I barely had time to inhale sharply before I was on the ground. My best guess is from behind/under a car parked on the side of the road. Being Footscray, a lot of people park their cars less than intelligently and the fuzz have better things to do than worry about a few cars parked on corners, which means this isn't a very good corner - downhill right hander with cars obscuring view through the corner.

I take it pretty gingerly as a result, looks like 38km/h isn't quite ginger enough!

My bike is still in the shop, but I've borrowed a mates a few times for the commute (15 min ride vs. 45-50min public transport, go figure).