Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Never been in a motorbike accident? Is that possible?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by SmellyTofu, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Is there such a thing? How many have been spared the pain of an accident? Please instill some confidence as a newbie that it is possible to not get yourself into trouble.

2. With respect, you might not be the one to initiate an accident. They can just happen even though you're being cautious and correct in your riding. I believe all that I can do as a rider is just be prepared, be observant, try to anticipate other drivers actions if possible and try not to ride tensed up.
    This is just my opinion as a rider, driver & truck driver on our roads.

• Like Like x 2
  3. it's possible... like winning lotto is possible.

edit:
    or never having anyone damage your car in a shopping center is possible.

4. It's possible. And touch wood, 6 years and 120,000km in I seem to be doing okay so far. But as Banana Fred says, realistically there will be situations where things are almost entirely out of the rider's control.

5. Define accident.

6. Geeezus Smee, "an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance".

Never had one, says he madly looking for some wood.

Qualifies : On a bike that is.

7. I haven't had an accident* on the road and been riding for 5 years (~70000km, 55000km of that being the last 2 years). Thinking ahead, being observant and anticipating idiotic road craft of other road users can keep you upright.

*had 3 racing accidents in a controlled race track...so doesn't really count towards traffic accidents for everyday commuting.

8. "you might not be the one to initiate an accident. They can just happen" the first thing I ever learned as an apprentice 40 years ago accidents never just happen ,they are always caused

9. Just be sure to plan toilet stops in advance and "accidents" on the bike shouldn't be a problem. Though as you get older and join the Ulysses club you may want to consider some sort of absorbent underlayer.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Welcome back JD, havent seen you around for a while.

11. Totally understand situations are out of our control but with the thread about the number of accidents, I just need some reassurance that these people do exist and that it's not some mythical lochness monster thing.

12. #12 parker, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    Not sure if it counts but I was putting the bike up on the center stand, and I made the mistake of trying to do it too quickly while in my 'business' type work shoes on that really smooth concrete, snapped the indicator but other then that I have been driving when someone has collected me by going through a red light. Purchased my GS500F about two weeks later lol.

13. Yes, it can be done. If you discount a bit of cosmetic damage here or there.
    The only time I've ever actually hurt myself was lifting a carelessly parked bike.

14. If you're worried about a spill, why are you riding a motorbike?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Remember netrider has the reputation of netcrasher.
    There are a large disproportion of riders with accidents on this site and are relatively new to riding.
    Also search will show up more results.
    So I ask again, define accident in your context, not the dictionary meaning

16. I've been riding and commuting most days for 2.5 years. Apart from once dropping my first bike in my driveway at 3km/h (I was being considerate to the neighbours and decided to kill the engine while rolling down the drive - didn't realise I put the steering lock on), I have not had an accident.

17. been riding for about a year done over 12000kms had 2 drops when i been walking the bike around on my driveway (very lose gravel) a few drops in car park on sand and one time dropped it when a dickhead opened his door and hit me in the leg when i was trying to put the bike up on the center stand but never had what i would call a crash

18. If you worry about crashing it is likely to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

There are those that have never crashed while moving (I don't like the term accident as it intimates that YOU had no part to play).

19. Ive never had an incident with another vehicle. Have had an 'off' though...

20. You ride a bike, you will definitely die in a huge, painful fireball at precisely 69Km/PH

• Like Like x 1