Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Neutral - Second - Crunch

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by 2Fast, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

In my noobness I'm still finding myself accidently shifting from 1st to neutral, slightly irritating, but not the end of the world... the problem is when shifting from neutral - 2nd.

On the bikes I was riding at HART, all I needed to do was clutch in and upshift to second, not a problem.
    On my 250 Bandit, I hold the clutch right in, try to shift and I get a clicking, grinding - Weird noise, then I have to give it quite a kick to make it take up 2nd.

Is this me being a noob? Or possibly something more sinister?
    Gearbox issues?

2. Your sorrution come from within, grasshopper.

Gearbox no likey pussy footy. Make change firmly, like monkey's grasp on wang.

Also may consider adjusting chain.
  3. awso consider adjusting crutch cabou
  4. Be firm, swift and decisive :wink:
  5. Maybe more simple than the above.

It could be your clutch cable adjustment.

At full lever depression the clutch must still be slightly engaged, possible causing the sound you are hearing at this low gear when the bike is moving (unlike engaging higher gears or first when you are stopped).

Using the small winding screw and lock nut on the clutch cable, you tension the cable some more so that it fully disengages.

My two amero's
  6. Try knocking it back into first (with the clutch in), then give it a big decisive kick upwards into second like you should be doing.

Check or have someone show you how to check all of the above also, you will need to know it anyway.
  7. I've done this sometimes too. Just gotta be gentle when you put it back into 2nd. I remember I was coasting around a roundabout after kicking down into '2nd'. Went to gun out of the corner and just made lots of noise. Had kicked down to neutral.
    Just had to squeeze the clutch and not rev the engine, and it went into 2nd.