Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Neutral Light Gone

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by RobE, Jun 7, 2009.

1. The green Neutral indicator light has stopped working on my 2000 Honda Hornet 600.

Before I start pulling things apart that I probably shouldn't touch I would appreciate some guidance on the most likley source of the problem.

I don't know if it is relevant but this was the immediate history:
    I recharged the flat battery. The bike started and idled fine. Then I clumsily knocked it into gear while putting the side stand down. The bike stalled and all the electricals stopped working. Something inside the battery had died.

I fitted a new battery. Everything works well, except the Neutral light has gone AWOL.

Suggestions appreciated,

2. blown bulb. should be an easy fix.
  3. probs one of those ffreaky things where kill switch, netural light and side stand light, and the oil light when engine dies went kjhgoingaoia
    n bulb didnt like it
  4. Either a blown globe, or a problem with the neutral light switch. It operates on an "earth return" circuit. Bear this in mind when messing with it.
  5. Thanks guys.

The bulb is OK.

To get to the bulb I undid the allen nuts and removed the instrument cluster. In the process I learned two things.
    - The bulbs can be removed with the cluster in place by easing out the rubber grommets.
    - The central allen nut is just for show. It is friction fit. Luckily I did not break the plastic while muscling it undone. A touch of silicone is now holding it back in place.

The switch has no continuity between the central electrode and the shell; neither with the plunger in or out. There is continuity between the plunger and the central electrode. I guess I need to visit Jeffrey Honda for new switch.

But; when I ground the switch lead (with the bike in neutral and the ignition on) the neutral light still does not come on.

Does this suggest a further wiring problem or am I not thinking this through properly? :roll:
  6. could it be the actual sensor thing that gets switched when in neutral? drop dislodged some wiring?