Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Neutral Light Flickering

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jez79, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Hello all,

I did a search on this but couldn't find anything specific. I ride an '89 Honda Spada and recently, the neutral light has started intermittently going on and off. When its cold in the morning, it doesn't seem to have a problem but as the bike warms up it seems to start flickering out and then not come on at all. If I stop the bike then, I have to hold the clutch in even if i'm in neutral cos the bike thinks its in gear. I'm thinking it may be loose wiring, but I'm not sure where to start looking or how to diagnose this one.

Can anyone shed some light on this? or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Does anyone know how I can get my name to come up with member on the posts when I log in?
  2. Sounds like the neutral switch is slightly out of adjustment or needs replacing. What's happening is, as eng heats up the slight expansion is letting the contacts loose conection completly.

Im not up on Spada's enough to give anything more specific as to where it is on your bike without looking at it.

can anyone else give more ?

3. but do you have to hold the clutch in? try releasing it slowly, maybe it is in gear. probably is just your light but make sure you're putting it into neutral properly.
  4. My SPADA does the same, I just haven't bothered fixing it yet.

I just ease out the clutch if i'm unsure if i'm in neutral. IF it tries to move then i just try for Neutral again.

Remember of course that the SPADA's are now 18years old so if it's never been looked at it's done well to go this long without needing attention.
  5. Cheers for the help guys. I'm finding neutral, that's no problem, i've never relied on the light to let me know. Its more that I just wanted to identify what the issue was because you have to hold the clutch in when starting the bike to trick it into starting because the neutral light seems to override the starter button function which is a nuissance (but understandable), and also because I will be selling it soon due to upgrade.

VTRBob - could you give me an idea of where to find the neutral switch?
  6. UPDATE:

Hi all, I found where the wire comes out of the transmission, so I have cleaned it and tightened the clip slightly, so will see how this goes and let you know.

Thanks again for all your responses.
  7. Bugger! It didn't work...

Open to suggestions.

Thanks again.
  8. Hi all,

Thanks heaps for your suggestions, it turned out to be the neutral switch which i replaced for just over $20.. can start the bike again without having to hold clutch in.. WOOT!

Thanks again.
  9. hmmmm my VTR has started doing that :? ahhh well... i'll get it looked at in the next service