Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Neutral between 4th and 5th?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by craigrider, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Hey Guys,

Only had my bike a couple of weeks now (2000 Suzuki Bandit GSF250V) and firstly id like to say its awesome but a couple of times i seem to get a neutral gear in between 4th and 5th? ie i change up and let the clutch out and the engine free revs.. has anyone else had this happen before and know the reason behind it? is there a worn selector or something that causes this?

2. It's far more likely to be that you are being too soft and gentle on the gearchanges, than an internal problem with the box. Be nice and firm, on the way up, and on the way down; you won't break the lever or the box, and you'll probably lose your false neutrals :wink:.
  3. My bandit use to do this. Usually happened when i stuffed up and didn't give it a proper shove into the next gear. Only happened on up shifts.
  4. My CZ has a neutral gear between 3rd and 4th... The Czech who designed it said it was for going down hills. What a machine.
  5. ^^^ undershifting.
  6. A similar thing sometimes happens to me on my GS500 but only when I'm not concentrating and shift like a girl - shift firmly and you won't have a problem.
  7. S'right. On a petroil lubricated two-stroke, the amount of oil the engine receives is dependent on the throttle opening. Normally, this isn't a problem as the throttle is being constantly opened and shut or is wide open, but descending a hill, you can spend a lengthy period with the throttle shut but the engine turning at high revs. Hence, CZ providing a box an which a neutral can be found adjacent to every gear to allow the engine to idle.
  8. +1 about more positive shifts...

I will add though,,,

Is the gear selector pedal set correctly, so that you can COMFORTABLY shift positively in both directions in your normal riding position with your normal riding boots on ?

Most have either a linkage arrangement with adjustment or at the very least it sits on a splined shaft....experiment..
  9. Brilliant, PatB.
  10. Thanks for all the replies guys.. sounds like its a technique issue not a mechanical one.. which is good as its cheaper (maybe not easier) to correct!

Thats a good thought too Mike I have had a look and the lever is really high for my natural foot position.. this could be contributing factor too my piss weak shifts sometimes

11. Phew! I was wondering if there was something wrong with my bike. I have had a few false neutrals lately. Time to not be so timid with the gear changes.
  12. Was reading this from a distance and didn't see the f in shift :grin: But now it makes sense!
  13. I get that sometimes going from 1st gear into 2nd. When trying to go fast and shifting "quickly" it seems i dont push up properly...