Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

netriders to the rescue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by G2teg, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Finished up with the coffee meet last night, and started heading home. All of a sudden, the needles on the dash lock up, then the whole dash dies. I slow down to try and figure out the problem and the whole bike dies. Luckily, Holster is going past and pulls over to help me out. We push the bike into the nearby crash repair shop, where people are still there at 11pm. Jump start the bike, then it dies again. Damn.
    Anyway, Holster left and I began pushing the bike home, but to my surprise, about 1/2 hour later, Rick turns up with the battery from his bike. We put that into my bike, and it starts, and manages to get me home.
    In the morning, ready for work, I turn the bike on, but to no avail. The bike is dead again. Pity, but I am now sourcing a new regulator in the hope that this solves the problem.
    So thanks to Holster and Rick for coming out to help me in the middle of the night. It's always nice to know that I have people around that can help.

2. Sounds like a classic reg rec issue.
    Good to hear you had a couple of kind souls from NR to help out.
  3. The battery's probably had it - possibly caused by a faulty reg/rec, but I'd say you'll need a new battery to test it with.
  4. could just be a bad electrical connection. pull the ones apart behind the dash and put them back together. Jump start the bike
  5. I'd like to think someone would stop and try to help me out if I was stuck so I couldn't just ride past :grin:

I was about as useful as tits on a bull.
  6. At a wild guess, is the bike in question a honda?

Like others have said, classic reg/rec stator problem. Around $500 from your local honda dealer. Plus tax.
  7. Made out of Gold?

I paid $150 for an after market. OEM was like $240 or something.
  8. Tis a Kawa ZX9.
  9. Not everyone has your myriad connections Vic!

Official Price : Honda Fireblade Stator Comp Part # 31120MCJ003 - $496.18 (+GST)

However, it turns out to be a kawasaki... :?
  10. i like tits!
  11. So do I!
  12. high five!
  13. Sorry - too busy looking at boobs
  14. mmmmmm boobies