Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Netrider's Saved My Life..

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by presti, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Well. This morning was the first time i've been on my bike in over 2 weeks since my last very close call (car merged on me without indicating in an 80kph zone in the rain and we clashed mirrors)

I filled the bike up and thought i'd do a 10-15km round loop after to get the cobwebs off. Coming down Lysterfield Road in Lysterfield (duh) it was damp so i was taking it very very easy.

Caught up to a VZ Commodore as they were taking it very slow. Came around one of the very last bends before Napoleon Rd and saw her start to slide out. At this time i was 3 or so seconds behind, just about to enter the corner. She was more than half way though. I couldn't brake, i was on a bee's dick throttle. The went nose, tail, nose, tail into the guard rail. I ended up lightly trailing my rear brake through the corner, got to where I had straightened up and applied front brake and stopped about 2m from her door (she was sideways over the road)

Without the Saturday Morning Practice sessions in St Kilda, i would have either panic grabbed my front brake and ended up straightening up into the guard rail and wrecking myself hard, or come around doing 10-15kph more than I was and slamming into her car and still wrecking myself. I have been only riding for 4 years, I felt confident in what I could do. This instant has shown me that I am not confident in what others can do.

So thanks NetRiders, Dav, GregBM and everyone else who helps with Saturday Morning Riders training in St Kilda - I can honestly say you HAVE saved me.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sounds like you handled it really well!
    Tricky situation. Really glad you're ok.
  3. Well done!
    Yeah, the Saturday morning practice sessions and those who contribute are to be commended. I reckon we should put them in for an award or something even if it is just a hug from a really hot celebrity.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well done mate, I really need to get my butt to one of these sessions.
  5. Good work Presti, sounds like you did real well in a difficult situation
  6. Good to hear you survived unscathed, Presti

It doesn't even have to be a celebrity. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I actually find it sad that without this,you may have died.
    Good luck on your journey.