Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

netrider rookie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Mr SMV, Nov 14, 2011.

1. G'day people,
    Obviously I'm new to this forum but I've been reading some of these threads for a while now and thought tonight I would finally get of my arse and register.

A little bit about myself, I'm a 40 yo and have had a full bike licence for around 20 years. I started riding in my early teens and have owned quite a few bikes in that time but they've always been dirt bikes.

As I've gotten older, injuries have crept up on me, and it was getting harder and harder to hit the dirt like I used to so last year I thought it was time to buy my first road bike. I did a few refresher courses with HART and so far it's been great. It's like I'm a kid again and discovering the joys of riding for the first time.

Anyhoo, that's about all I've got to say for now. Hopefully I'll get to know some of you guys in the Melbourne area and maybe even meet up for a ride every once in a while.

Cheers,
    Mr SMV

2. G'day SMV - welcome to to NR, and the asphalt. Nice to have you along.

Yeah, you don't fall down as often, but they tend to be big.

3. Thanks mate. Yeah I've already met Mr Asphalt. I was introduced to him by Mrs Nissan Pathfinder back in '96 when she made a right hand turn right in front of me. Got a broken arm and collar bone, my ride at the time, a '94 KLX took it a lot better than I did. My current bike would sustain a lot more damage if it were to happened again.

4. Welcome to the forum SMV :). Hope you enjoy the road as much as the dirt :D

5. welcome to posting on Netrider

so what bike do you have now?

6. An aprilia SMV750 Dorsoduro. It feels like I'm sitting on a dirt bike but it goes and handles like a road bike. This makes me feel confident on the streets.

7. Welcome to the forum Mr.

I've never been on the dirt and now it sounds like its too late for me haha.

:(

8. welcome to NR Mr SMV, enjoy like we do :)

9. Thanks guys. I'm feeling like part of the family already.
    Brmmm, it's never too late to get out in the bush mate.
    I picked up a lot of skills on dirt bikes, some of which
    I can apply to my road riding....And some bad habits
    which are better left for the dirt.:D

10. The major bad habit that dirt riders and dirt bike riders bring with them, is over using the rear brake. That and being an axe-murderer with the twist grip. On the black stuff you want to focus mostly on the front brake, and being smooth with the throttle.

Most of the skills you pick up on the dirt are transferable over to the tar, and the faster you ride the more relevant they get.

11. Couldn't agree more kneedragon. Now that I'm on the road I rarely use my rear brake unless I'm trail braking around a corner or just to help out the front a bit from time to time. As far as the throttle goes, yes smooth is best. I'm lucky because my bike has adjustable mapping on the fly. Touring mode is best for traffic but sport mode which is super sensitive is awesome for the twisty country roads.

12. Hi and welcome to NR

• Like Like x 1