Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Netrider Email - Set-up Instructions

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by flexorcist, Apr 23, 2007.

1.  Top
  2. Delete the registry key that is causing the stupid thing to reinstall itself each time you reboot.

3. & for your netrider email, just use POP :)

4. Delete your cookies in your browser for your google/gmail problem. As for the pop-up install spybot or avg anti-spyware

5. format c:

Install Linux :).

6. tempting but i've only heard good things about it. never seen or used it.

7. you can test-fly it, by booting from cdrom.
    i dual-boot, so i can choose which to use based upon what i want to achieve :)

8. Yer as Joel said you can run a live cd version of it to test it out. Download a copy of Ubuntu and burn it onto disc then boot into it. Providing you have enough ram (anything more than 256mb should do...) you will pretty much get a fully featured operating system running off your CDROM + RAM.

Or as Joel also said, dual boot so you can choose (but that's another kettle of fish).

9. ok guys....... back to my orig problem.
    i have a netrider email address, which is essentially a gmail based one.

i can't access google.com or gmail from my home computer. however, i can access google.com.au, and google by IP address http://72.14.207.99/

i can't resolve the problem, but could someone who knows at least give me the netrider mail IP so i can access it from home.

thanks....

10. the problem for you is you can't use a DNS it seems. If you ALWAYS have to enter the numerical IP instead of name IP (such as using numbers instead of google.com, netrider.net.au etc, then do the following)

Add a (working) DNS such as 203.0.178.191 and/or 203.89.230.234 are two I use for mine that work. You _DON'T HAVE TO_ have your ISP's DNS or such in your DNS field/s for this to work. And if you need help with in putting dns, then you should do this (if you have Windows XP which most people who need help have)

Right mouse click "My Network" (or My Nework Places), click "Properties".

Right mouse click your internet connection, if ADSL, it's usually "Local Area Connection" and click "Properties" again.

Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click properties. You should see down the bottom "Obtain DNS automatically or Use the following DNS server addresses". Make sure the "Use the following etc" is chosen.

Enter the 2 numbers above I mentioned in the 2 in the windows below the "Use the folowing" choice. When done, click OK, until you are back to "the network icons" and just close that window. You should now be able to choose name IPs of places instead of numerical IPs all the time.

If you have "Find IP" above that DNS entry screen as "Automatically" that means you most likely get your IP address from your router/gateway/modem for ADSL or whichever thing you use for internet. This most likely has a fault with DNS but with the info I gave, you should be able to now have a working DNS in windows XP as opposed to having to enter numerical IPs (numbers) instead of names of 'internet places' all the time. If you have another type of problem, state it I guess and see what help can be done for your particular type of 'issue' you have :)

11. cheers for your very detailed response!!!

unfortunately didn't work. i've done so many bloody changes to DNS settings, including the file thats in system32, (followed instructions don't know exactly what it was called but system32/iefiles/etc something like that), reset the ipconfig through dos. it's an old virus/trojan related thing. when i had one the 2 things it did were disable my search function, (so i have google desktop which fixes that), and disable google.com

every other site i've come across works perfectly. it's only google.com and gmail.

12. ah, so you have your "hosts" file modified. Hmm, do you know how to change "/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts" to remove the google entries then make it unchangeable.. i.e chattr ?

Can't type more, I'm off again. Will type more later if you don't know and no one else helps.. bye bye for a few hours!

13. nah i thought it was modified.... i tried to reset it. looks like this now.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    213.189.34.4 auto.search.msn.com

14. http://mail.netrider.net.au/ is the URL for accessing your @netrider.net.au email address.

15. yeah i know. i can access it at work. but because it connects to google.com, at home, it's impossible atm

16. 64.233.179.121

17. Server Not Found
    Error 404

:(

lol the pc world just don't like me.

18. Setting up Netrider Mail for POP.
    You must have first purchased the netrider mail option via the merchandise page. You will then receive an email with your username and password details. If you wish to receive emails via your email client and not the html based email client then you must do the following.

Step 1 Your email client software requires the following change.
    Settings must be:
    Server = pop.gmail.com
    Account = username@netrider.net.au
    You must enable SSL connection, default port should be 995

Step 2

Go to http://mail.netrider.net.au
    Login using your username and password provided.
    Click Sign In

Step 3

Click on Settings top right

Step 4

Click on Forwarding and POP

Step 5

Click on Enable POP for all mail
    Then click Save Changes

That's it, you should now be able to receive netrider mail via you client email software.

Further technical support will be supplied by Vic for $100 p/hr :p :LOL: