Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nervous or Thinking too much ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by WantFreedom, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,

I started riding on 7 Feb so I haven't been riding much besides on mornings in the weekend but I'm putting the hours to get better, one thing I have been struggling with taking off from 1st to 2nd but once I get passed that I'm fine riding.

I have been practicing in industrial areas not far from home and today I finally had it down and working well taking off from 1st to 2nd it felt like I achieved something that was bothering me alot lately I was so happy anyway not to rush things I decided to head home and I had to stop at lights and go across the intersection and turn right onto Boronia Rd.

I do that goto take off bang clunk and stall there's a car behind me so I was pretty nervous I panic a bit and just pushed the bike to the side of the road not completing the corner to get my thoughts back and take off in a straight direction as I feel I struggle taking off from a stop to make a left and right turn as in crossing intersection.

I take off straight on Boronia Rd and didn't stall but the take off was no where near smooth as it was when I was practicing which I was like grrrr, so this afternoon I went back down to an industrial area and practiced taking off was pretty much perfect and I was really happy get back on the road to go home and stall once and things just aren't as smooth as they are in the industrial area.

I still plan on practicing these two things

1) Take off from first to second.
    2) Take off first to second making a left or right turn from lights such as crossing a intersection.

Did anyone here have issues with what I am experiencing? I feel when I come to a stop on the road I get so nervous about taking off from 1st to 2nd I just over think things and this basically ruins my riding experience as I feel like I suck and am failing when I can do something great in an industrial area but not on the road.

Anyway once I get these two things down Ill be able to attend Saturday practice as it stands now I don't travel very far from my home to practice.

The joys of learning :)
  2. Three things;
    1. Pull away in second gear until you're comfortable
    2. Use one of the many mentors available in your area.
    3. Practice, practice, practice.
    4. I don't count too good.
  3. Just relax mate, many noobs will experience this in traffic for the first few times, it's just the stress of worrying about all the cages around you. Do what WombleWomble said above. Practise and relax!

P.s the stall is almost a mandatory move for learners.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. I have been offered help by a mentor which was very nice of him and I said I would take him up on that offer when I'm confident, I just dont feel confident in travelling up his way just yet, once I have that confidence I will use the mentors until they get sick of me hehe.
  5. Mate, I have been uprising since Dec 2013 and I went through exactly the same thing, I STILL sometimes miss second and end up revving the hell out of the bike pulling away from lights in neutral!
    It all comes with practice!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Womble when you say - 1. Pull away in second gear until you're comfortable what exactly do you mean by that?
  7. lol yeah brings back memories of me, i was the same when taking off into a corner. you seem to have a good idea on what and how to practice so just keep at it.
    over thinking things can screw you up in my opinion. just the other day i was coming to roundabout that i know in the car is a real slippery one and all i do is tense up and completely make a dick of myself nearly hitting the gutter on the exit. (i was on my way to hart at stives for training, go figure lol)
    just relax and keep practising
  8. Nearly every bike ever made can quite easily pull away from a standing start in second gear (my M109R could do it in fourth).
    Also, a trick I was taught many years ago is to keep applying upwards pressure on the gear pedal on upward changes until you've fully released the clutch and downwards pressure on the pedal on downshifts (this works in any gear).

It does absolutely no damage to the gearbox and means you'll never miss a gear again.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I personally would rather take off in first all the time to learn correctly and get it right but when I am down practicing I am going to take off in 2nd and see what happens!

Newbieacross yeah that's how I feel making a dick of myself when stall it I am enjoy just practicing and riding around the streets early morning its great once I get into 2nd as I know its alot easier riding then :)
  10. Here is a picture of two intersections I stalled at the red line is the direction and yellow is where I stalled it in the first picture the yellow is where I pushed my bike to to take off straight.

Would you turn onto the intersection always in first and not change gear until your pretty much starting to straighten up or would you take off in 1st and quickly change to second to make it smoother going around the corner? It seems ever intersection I take like this picture I stall! not sure if its the corners but that's something I am practicing this week.

11. Mate I'd be well into second by the turn there...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. These type of questions depend on the bike one is riding - a 250 should be well into second, a 650 LAMS would probably still be in first.
    If you're hitting the rev limiter, change up. If not, don't worry - bikes are built to be revved.
  13. Yeah thats what I thought as well I think when taking off at intersection im just over thinking like this and I'm to focused on trying to get into 2nd that I just try let the clutch out to quickly in 1st trying to anticipate to make it into 2nd as quickly as possible.

Like now I am starting to over think turning at an intersection when I really know how I am meant to do it lol
  14. I have a Honda CB250 so it really does need to be in 2nd which is what I will focus on practicing then hit those type of intersections early morning on weekend when not much traffic and make it attempt two as I won't let them defeat me hehe.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ok mate if its not wet on Saturday we can do an early session give me a pm I will pick you up around 9
    if you think you are confident enough after I can take you to the practice session where you can learn what you need to know off people who know
    as ive said before I think this will really help
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Like I said before. Relax. Too much thought!
  17. Hey mate,

Try keeping the revs steady at about 3000, just before engaging the clutch. Then release smoothly and you're away.

Don't let the machine ride you. You're the one in charge!

Once you're rolling at a running pace, go to second gear.

(You'll be going scratching in no time at all)
  18. I'm not sure I understand your problem exactly but I think it's probably related to some peculiarities of the 1-2 and 2-1 change.
    1. The gap in ratios between these two gears is the biggest in the gearbox.
    2. The neutral detent between these two gears makes the change slower and more awkward.
    3. The torque multiplier effect of low ratios makes for a jerky response to change in throttle input.
    Do not close the throttle below fast idle speed (maybe around 2,000 rpm or a bit more) during the change.
    Do not let go the clutch with a bang, ease it out as you engage drive in 2nd.
    Mastery of throttle control at small openings and judicious use of the clutch to soften the connection between engine and back wheel are fundamental the smooth riding at low speeds.
  19. Find a quiet bit of road and stop. Then take offf in first, go up to second and then come to a stop going back down through first as you do. Repeat.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

After 100 repeats you should be able to do it without too much thought. Bottom line it is only practice.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  20. BTW where in Melbourne are you? Maybe there is a closer mentor who will come to you