Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nervous newbie

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ucanttme, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hey people, getting my L's on monday hopefully, got my pre - learners this weekend end but i gotta tell you, im actually quite nervous about my first ride alone, im taking a few days off school to just pointlessly ride around some quiet streets ( thanks mum! ) but any tips on how to smooth the nerves? any experiences? anything would be nice to hear, thanks!

2. There is no easy way to ease the nerves other than getting out there and taking it easy. you will learn everything you need to know for basic saftey and riding during the course,

Have fun and don't rush things and you will be fine

Good luck ;)
  3. It is fairly nervy the first ride.. But after a couple of blats you will be lovin it. just go at your own pace and do it in your time..
  4. Don't stress ,well it's easy to say.
    But it is all really straight forward the L's test ect and heaps of fun.

Just remember to come back and get this thred up and say.

Im sure your reply will be .....

it was heaps of fun i didn't need to stress ,any other newbies get out there and do it.
  5. lol i was just wondering how much more of a nervous wreck i'd be without the netrider community giving me heaps of first time advice, amazing how valuable it is to just listen and soak it all in.
  6. I usually find a scotch helps sooth the nerves, but unfortunately that aint a good idea in this case.

Just takes the first "steps" slow and small. (great idea doing the back streets to start)
    and you will build your confidence and get rid of the nerves pretty quick.

Just don't go getting over confident. When it feels like you have got it down, remind yourself that you have much to learn and look at ways of improving.
  7. Just get out there, take youre time and slowly build up your confidence and youll be fine :)
  8. Light breakfast, cereal, toast and a tea or coffee (needless to say don't go out and stay late the night before).

Don't ride that morning before you have to go for the test, you'll just find yourself finding fault with your technique and worrying about what may happen.

And if all else fails, get the name of the testing officer and we can arrange for a few of the more threatening Netriders to pay a visit :LOL:
  9. Well just got back from pillioning it on my dads 650, i think alot of those nerves have turned to pure excitement now lol these are gonna be the slowest 6 days ever....
  10. My first ride was not too long ago!

But one thing that helped me a great deal was riding with a friend.
    Having someone with you, eases the nerves a bit & lets you concentrate on your technique.

You'll find plenty of people to ride with here....if you havent already....

good luk :cool: :cool:
  11. hey bro just let me know when u want to ride out, we'll go up n down from hornsby - brooklyn , ride circles around parking lots or what ever u need to do.
  12. Keep Breathing!
    Keep Loose!
    Be Cool!
    Dont tense up, be relaxed but not so that you cant control your bike.
    The 'L's is easy since you are confined to a practice yard, although I know of a few who have tried to escape during practice! Keep your speed DOWN to a controllable level for you.
    Don't sweat the small stuff, its all small stuff

Good Luck! :grin:
  13. ride it like you stole it!
  14. ucanttme,
    I've just gone thru very similar scenario to you, having only just got my L's and enjoying my first bike and the learning process. The first day I was nervous and up tight and because of that I didn't enjoy it a whole lot. The second day, though, I'd decided to just relax and enjoy it. So, the only suggestions I can make is to hold you head up high, relax, take a deep breath, and just do it. I was very nervous about picking up my bike and riding it home. I was very seriously considering either getting it delivered or getting a mate to ride home for me. But I decided that I have to ride her sooner or later. So, deep breaths, jump on and away you go. Everything will be fine. It gets better. Each time you do something and get it right your confidence grows. You go thru a steep learning curve. Just remember to take your time and learn at your own pace. Plenty of people around here to help out if/when/how they can.

Best of luck and enjoy.....

15. dude, just take a deep breath, relax and a good breakfast as Hornet said.

I have just been through this but by the sound of it you seem a bit younger than me :LOL: :LOL:

Familair roads very critical, just take your time, concentrate on becoming one with the bike, don't fight it, relax, stay alert and you will be right. That's my Zen moment :LOL:

Anyone saying they are not nervous getting on the roads for the first time is lying or a phsyco :p :p

Have fun mate, one day it clicks and sometimes that takes a few hours or a few days.

Oh did I say relax :grin: :grin:
  16. Dude if your still nervous on the day, ask your girlfriend to help you ease the built up tension. problem solved
  17. Thanks for all the advice everyone, its kinda a brewing mix of excitement and nerves now. There's a good area in Mt Kuring Gai ( just before berowra) where ill spend a few hours when i first get my L's riding around pointlessly but all the Car L drivers start there so, why not on the bike?
    Dante i'd really enjoy a ride in the coming weeks if you can tolerate a teenage newbie!!
  18. just watch out for the buses.

a loop for you to run, start at kfc go down link rd then up to galston, turn left along galston back to the highway, left then left to old berowra rd, right into mittabah watch out for buses, right then left back to kfc, left on the highway to roper lane left into the street i dont know the name of goes passed mills av. back thru mittabah rd right at link or clarindra .

maybe just avoid those pesky right handers on the highway unless you have a turning bay. :p
  19. Get heaps of time on the road - pick youjr times, stay off the road during the after school rush - IMO this is the most dangerous time of day.

Build up to stuff, you find a corner you like then go around is 15 times - you dont have to have it all conquered on the first go.

Only thing you need to achieve is returning home safely - focus on that. :)
  20. hey mate,
    we dont have the lerner course over here, just the test when they give you your restricted license. But i found in my test that about 2 mins after i got on the bike i just focused and followed the instructions and i didnt have time to be nervy. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Then get out there and ride everyday, its a constant learning process for the rest of your riding days.
    oh and good luck :grin: