Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nerd stuff - Just shit my pants

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by TRA, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Been working all morning cutting code, did not hit save button. Visual Studio just crashed... :censored: :furious: ](*,)

Thank fuck, VS somehow detects files that were not saved and recovered everything.

My heart has not slowed down yet, this is a very time critical project. Going to be saving more often now! Normally VS2010 does not crash, but I made a config change this morning and this is the second time its crashed since. Maybe time to turn that off.

2. Yeah, been there, done that. I had one where I had been working late, dozed off, and my laptop had gone into standby. Obviously being a Dell, standby is another name for system freeze, so had to reboot. Lost it. Poo Dick Wee.

3. Fucking save your shit you morons - I'm so tired of bitching customers whinging about all the "critical work" they didn't bother to Ctrl-S on...
    (Sorry TRA, that wasn't really at you - I'm not quite sure where it came from, exactly ;))

4. Everyone's a preacher. We've all fvcked up at some stage.

I am sure we all religiously back our stuff up too? Hardly likely.
    I do put all my gear in the cloud now anyway.

5. Server-based storage at work, and RAID at home - all you gotta do is hit "Save" once in a while...
    And Pffft to "the cloud" - you just lost all control over what you saved...

6. I'm comfortable enough storing my crap on the google and dropbox servers. Anything really sensitive I encrypt in a truecrypt container. If Dropbox was cheaper, I'd even ditch my Google storage.

I keep multimedia on the RAID NAS, only because I can't stream it to the Boxee Box fast enough from the net.

7. Sympathies, but it did remind me of this old joke.

Jesus and Satan have a discussion as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they come to an agreement to hold a contest, with God as the judge.

They sit themselves at their computers and begin. They type furiously, lines of code streaming up the screen, for several hours straight. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity. Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over.

He asks Satan to show what he has come up with. Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing. I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see if Jesus fared any better."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers. Satan is astonished.

He stutters, "B-b-but how? I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact. How did he do it?"

God smiled all-knowingly, "Jesus saves."

8. Cutting code for an entire morning without saving??? I presume you're not working test-first.

9. Saving is like breathing :)

On the other hand, auto save is your friend. Doesn't VS save at each compile also?

10. Dont know what test-first is, but it sounds like another wank methadology to me. I use the TRA patented methadology, called JFDI ala, Just Fucken Do It!!

BTW, it was not all morning, cause I do often hit compile to check for mistakes, but it was definately and hour or 2.

11. Visual Studio was the third most painful experience of my life, right behind Java in Eclipse and riding a Honda...

12. VS is pretty good. better than using vi and gcc. Cant comment on riding a honda, only ever test rode a VFR800 which I thought was ok.

13. Even 2 hours without saving is kinda scary. When I'm working in Ruby or Coffeescript I start to worry if it's been more than a few minutes since my last test run.

And then there's Lisp ... I'm still near the bottom of my Common Lisp learning curve but man, once you've used Emacs + SLIME, you'll never go back :)

14. Dude, that vid is nearly an hour long. Far to nerdy for me.

My old man used to use lisp for autocad scripting. I am a hardcore c++ programmer, to lazy to learn new shit. cept c#, thats pretty cool.

15. LMFAO - using the term "cutting code" in the same sentence as Visual Studio. Please.

::end of line

16. C#'s not bad, esp. since 3.0. I was a .NET coder for most of my career, since the 1.0 days. I've recently jumped ship to Ruby on Rails professionally, and it's a breath of fresh air.

But seriously, Lisp is absolutely awesome, even more so than Ruby. Reader macros, for instance ... you can interrupt the parser, grab the stream, parse any old sequence of bytes you want into Lisp code, then hand control back to the parser again.

I put a simple reader macro up on GitHub for kicks, grins and code review:

https://github.com/duncan-bayne/readermacro/blob/master/octal-reader.lisp

There's a post about how I should have done it here:

http://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/2135/simple-octal-reader-macro-in-common-lisp

17. Please explain?

18. It is heavy, locked, uninspired and inflexible.

It has derivative libraries
    Poorly maintained source control methodology
    And is not of enterprise quality.

::end of line

19. Oh god, if you mention Java and Eclipse, I'll puke.

Visual Studio is by far the best developer experience I have ever used. Plug on an alternative Source repository and you're set.

20. I would have to disagree with you there.

Not sure what you mean by derivative libraries. For C++, compliant STL is available. Also for MS specific stuff, there is ATL and MFC, both very powerful but MS specific. C#, well you get .net, not much choice.

Source control is how you wish. Current client uses IBM rational which integrates in the VS. My company uses Team Studio with also integrates well.

I have been using it for enterprise software for many years with no issue.

It is heavy, locked, uninspired and inflexible? Yup, heavy, but hardware is cheap. Locked, well its not open source, but who cares. What do you want to do with it? You can write plugins? Uninspired - I think most copy MS now. Inflexible, definatly not.