Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Neglected Bike care and therapy

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by MichaelR65, Jul 23, 2016.

1. #1 MichaelR65, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Bought a low mileage Honda CB500x.... 2 years old with just 6,500 km. Main problem clearly is lack of use and it has been standing unloved for many months. Tyres need replacing as they feel real hard. Obviously all fluids need checking/ changing.

I have two major worries though.

First is the chain has bugger all oil and a light surface rust. It would be good to return to service . Wire brush then lube? Replace?

Second problem is general cleaning. Most is just a matter of a scrub but under the seat is very dusty. I am tempted to hit it with a hose but fear the result, especially with fuel injection and abs. Blast with compressed air?. A paint brush will not reach it all.

Suggestions please.

2. #2 Mr Flibble, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2016
    If it's only two years old I doubt the tryes need replacing, but I'm not an expert. Mine tend to wear out within 6-8 months

Get the rear wheel off the ground (centrestand?), and check the chain link by link for correct movement. Don't use a wire brush, an old toothbrush and a little turps kero will get it clean.

Perhaps a vacuum cleaner for the loose stuff, followed by a damp rag. You could wrap it round a stick for the hard to get at places.

You can practice on mine if you like

Edited: By request of OP - Mod

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Definitely don't put a wire brush anywhere near the chain. One slip and you've damaged the o-rings. Bad mojo. Even be careful with the toothbrush, but it's a better option by far than the wire one.
    A two year old bike is unlikely to need new tyres from age. A ten year old bike with the original tyres maybe, but not a two year old.
    Just give it a regular bath (no pressure cleaners), change the oils, fluids, and filters and perhaps dump the fuel in the tank and start fresh to get rid of any gunk and water. Put some injector cleaner through it with the fresh fuel if you're feeling paranoid, but that shouldn't be necessary either.

4. On the chain use a nylon kitchen scourer and wd40. Be aware there are o-rings between the flanges of the chain, so go carefully there. You dont want to wash the grease from within the link, so keep the coats light.

Modern bikes can be readliy washed, even with a pressure washer, so long as it's not set to lift paint.

And yes, at 2 years old, I doubt the tyres are too hard. That takes closer to 5 years, but maybe the tyres were put on the bike at the factory 4 years ago, so it may be they need replacing. For me it would depend on which tyre and the amount of wear left. No point being tight if you do have confidence in your rubber

5. WD40? is that safe? - Oh and I got my agents mixed up - I meant kero not turps. Can't edit my post for some reason

6. Thank you. I have on my shopping list WD40/kero, nylon pot scourer, rubber gloves and numerous cleaning products.

The tyres worry me as the front at least looks to have been exposed as the cover for the bikes storage was not great. There are tiny cracks showing between the treads and the compound is hard when tested with a thumb nail. I should mention this bike is in Thailand and the conditions can be a little hash.

7. You can also buy motorcycle chain 'gunge' brushes that have a three-sided bristle head:

$_103.JPG

You work over and under the chain with kerosene or spray-on chain cleaner and it makes the whole process quite quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hey, that looks clever! I must admit these chain thingies are all a bit of a mystery to me. Such a quaint old fashioned idea:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Should put a trickle charger on the battery if you don't ride often, this will keep you battery in good condition and charged.
    You can pick them up at Autobarn/Repco/Super Cheap etc. for about $40/50.

10. Chiang Mai Bike Parts are a little closer to me than Repco etc :)

But yes definitely. Battery maintenance is a headache for a nomadic retirement. I have batteries in Aus and Thailand to worry about.

I have one of the Sydney batteries connected to a tiny solar panel so will be interesting to see how it has fared after a 3 month absence. Others on conventional maintenance chargers.

I have already had numerous kind offers from Ulysses members here in Chiang Mai to "look after" the bike for me.

11. One of the restrictions of Member only status. You get a limited time window in which you can edit past posts. I have edited for you.

12. If its only surface rust on the chain do whatevetr you'd regularly do to it. It's probably nothing. Underseat will get dusty; probably no worries. Acid test of tyres is feel but I'd cautiously suggest they're probably fine unless they sat with no air for a long time.

13. Thanks again. Some reassurance there.

Made good progress today with cleaning and servicing. Got one year registration paid (A$4) and a new spare key cut and coded ($50) at the local Honda Big Wing dealer.

A cleaner bike now than it was but tomorrow will have it detailed while I have a morning coffee.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. -Replace all the fluids then cleaning the forks with metal polish is advisable to prevent the fork seals being cut up to shreds.
    -Attack the chain with a toothbrush and Kero then soaking it with some left over engine oil should do the trick.
    If it starts stretching or makes squealing noises then replace it...some surface rust is normal.
    -Lube up any mechanical cables
    -Blow the airfilter out with a air compressor

The bike is waterproof and can be safely washed down with a hose however you won't be able to get all the dust off short of dismantling it.
    Otherwise just ride it.

15. The last part of that advice sounds good! Just ride it eh?

To be fair there is plenty of mud and dust up here so nothing stays clean for long.

16. For second hand bikes (or any for that matter) you should pull the covers off everything and go around checking everything from the brakes, sprockets and confirming any mods have been installed correctly.

Running a bike once the fluids have been changed and giving it for a good spin is normally the best service.
    On some of my bikes (restoring old bikes is a hobby) it takes 2-3 hundred km and a couple of oil changes until the bike starts running at its best.
    No matter how hard you try something will always break when you bring a old bike back into service, normally something stupid like a clutch or speedo cable.

17. What's the plan MichaelR65MichaelR65 , are you shipping it back to Aus ?

18. No mate just a toy to keep me occupied when I am stuck here in Northern Thailand with nothing else to do.

I am sure you can sympathise with how hard my life has become .

I am taking the advice given and checking all fluids regularly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Hey!
    I know that place !!! :)
    Been a while since I've been there, though.
    I'm looking at going back next year, if you're still around I'll say hi . . . (y)

20. Better not make this a Thailand thread but that bar is at Miman Hill on the top of Maya mall. Happy hour 6 to 8 pm :)

The bike is cleaner now. The guys behind the cafe gave it a good scrub and even made the tyres nice and shiny for me!

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1