Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Need your opinions...

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Dennoire, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Im about to buy my first bike, Im going to get a cruiser. Cant decide between an xv250 or a vn250. Some people say the virago is a womans bike, some say it isnt... wondering what the general consensus was...

Your thoughts?
  2. It's a motorbike. A reasonably reliable one but a pretty shit one.

If people call it a girl's bike it's either because it's low enough to the ground that shortass chicks can ride them easily, or because they're just being derogatory. There's no such thing as a girl's bike. Except a Ducati.
  3. Say what ya like, I'm just under 5'8", 63 kgs, the Virago is extremely comfortable for me to ride. I got an older one that had the straighter handlebars, the newer handlebars don't do it for me at all. :?
  4. It depends on the owner. If you're a woman, then its a woman's bike. If you're a man, then its a man's bike. If in doubt, drop your pants and take a look. :grin:
  5. Put it this way...

Here's the dictionary definition:

Noun 1. virago - a noisy or scolding or domineering woman
    shrew, termagant - a scolding nagging bad-tempered woman.

6. yep it is..... buy a vtr250 :)
  7. Hey, if it floats your boat ... it's fine
  8. you do realise in NSW you don't need to buy a 250 to learn on (luv)?
  9. I do, but the biggest factor for me is price due to a limited budget. And for the same price, the higher capacity bikes all have millions more k's on the clock. Id love a vtr but they cost too much.
  10. If you are looking for a cruiser to learn on, the Virago is pretty good.
    If you are looking for the best bang per buck, look elsewhere.
    I started on a virago because I like cruisers but a 250 sports bikes would leave me for dead on any piece of straight road.
  11. so long as i can reach 110km/h ill be happy... the longer it takes, the more i can enjoy my journey...
  12. get a vt250c if your worried about looks,
    if your not, get a 650...wait, be patient and save up and buy one. 250's suck balls in general due to a severe lack of power. they only seem fine for first week of riding.

BUY A 650! (or anything 400cubes up)
  13. what do you recommend in the 400+ cubes department?
  14. someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive 400+, learner legal and cruiser limits you to either the Yamaha XVS650 or the Hyosung GV650
  15. It is a girls bike - Virago means:

16. No, that just means you're riding a quarrelsome, scolding, nagging woman. Plenty of married men do that every night :LOL:
  17. Hang on Bluesuede, married and every night do not go together. :roll:
  18. It is a bike. In many countries of the world it would be a big bike!.

Just the same as I 'use' a magna to get to work, if it is the only suitable alternative, use it.

Tell anyone who comments unfavourably to get a life. Or give you the $$ to change it.

If your ego can handle it - then do it. You will HTFU!.

Part of growing up is acepting that sometimes you have to do things that you dont want to - but you still choose to. Learn to live with it.
  19. Just change the bars to flatter ones and you'll be ready to go!
  20. Virago is a good bike to learn on. Im a teeny 148cm (4ft 11in in older measurements) and 46kgs and it suits me fine. Can lift it myself and its easy to manouver in tight spaces. Working in St. Kilda ATM and i see more men than women riding the viragos around there.

The 250 eliminator would've just about been the only other choice for me, but if you're on a tight budget, they might be a bit of a stretch.

I have found that the virago is comfortable sitting on speeds upto about 95, past that you have to push it a bit but it goes alright. I guess im not all about the fully sik maximum speed that a bike can get to, but it takes off pretty well when im ready to go at a set of lights. Never going to compete with a sportsbike or a bigger cruiser but its faster than the cars on take off so thats all you need.

ANYwho... thats my two cents over. Please excuse the blabbering, I'm hungover... :(

Virago also handles a ride through the hills as well as any other two fiddy :) and it's funnn!